World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if this is a good way to lure fish for bass off the south east coast of England for bass and other fish

·
Read Only
2,032 Posts
Like many methods it can be deadly at times. Great when the bass are fixated when feeding on the bottom.
I tend to use this technique in rough ground and with a lure with plenty of movement in the tail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got some of them red gill sandeels but the hook is underneath I was gonna stick a jig head on there and have the hook facing upwards to avoid snags then I heard about the carolina rig. I'm new to bass fishing. So it's really difficult to learn since I dont know anyone that does it. I will be beach casting. I'll have one rod with a weight on the bottom and a wire boom a foot or 2 up from the weight with basic rig with a lug or rag worm but I also want to do a more active type of fishing. I have a spin rod which I plan to use, while waiting for a bite on the other rod, with lures but trying to work out the best way to do it. Are wire tracers necessary for bass or is fluorocarbon enough?

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you’re fishing on a beach, just grab any 30g metal you’d normally use for mackerel, chuck it out and reel it in with a varied retrieve.

A popular metal people are using a lot at the moment is the savage gear seeker in 28g. Launch that out and wind it back slow and you’ll find bass... If they’re there.

·
Read Only
2,032 Posts
If you’re fishing on a beach, just grab any 30g metal you’d normally use for mackerel, chuck it out and reel it in with a varied retrieve.

A popular metal people are using a lot at the moment is the savage gear seeker in 28g. Launch that out and wind it back slow and you’ll find bass... If they’re there.
Yes I agree entirely, working it through the water column and plenty of other methods and lures to try.
You never know, you may end up being a convert to lures only :rofl:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

Any colour the bass prefer? Would a 28g be better then the 32g?

·
Registered
639 Posts
As you are in Essex, I would start with white or silver. Regarding the size, depends on what is best for your rod. Have a look at what your rod is capable of casting, and start there.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Any colour the bass prefer? Would a 28g be better then the 32g?
Either. I personally did well on the 16g and 23g last year but I’m sure the 28g would’ve done just as well, if not even better finding fish that bit further out. As soon as you start cranking, the lure comes up in the water column so stays pretty shallow. Rod tip high to get it higher, rod tip low for lower, simple.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Either. I personally did well on the 16g and 23g last year but I’m sure the 28g would’ve done just as well, if not even better finding fish that bit further out. As soon as you start cranking, the lure comes up in the water column so stays pretty shallow. Rod tip high to get it higher, rod tip low for lower, simple.
My rod handles 30-80g so I got the 32g white one and a 23g green and silver. I heard the bass go for the blacker lures at night but these ones seem to cost a lot more. I'll try out the ones I've bought for now. Do they feed all year round or is anytime good for bass? My uncle says he knows some good spots but didn't mention the best time to go. I've already got some orange red gill sandeels would they be any good for anything?

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
As you are in Essex, I would start with white or silver. Regarding the size, depends on what is best for your rod. Have a look at what your rod is capable of casting, and start there.
in the blackwater mudmaget used albie snax white
and creamed me a few times
then i pulled out the dreaded phelleps
and killed his arse pmsfl

·
Registered
639 Posts
My rod handles 30-80g so I got the 32g white one and a 23g green and silver. I heard the bass go for the blacker lures at night but these ones seem to cost a lot more. I'll try out the ones I've bought for now. Do they feed all year round or is anytime good for bass? My uncle says he knows some good spots but didn't mention the best time to go. I've already got some orange red gill sandeels would they be any good for anything?
Theres always a chance at any time of year, but wait until it warms up a bit really. I don't start taking it seriously until May around here. Anything before that is a bonus on a lure in Essex, in my opinion

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Theres always a chance at any time of year, but wait until it warms up a bit really. I don't start taking it seriously until May around here. Anything before that is a bonus on a lure in Essex, in my opinion
if u go on u tube theres an essex guy getting them at tollsbury in march
i take it with a pinch of salt
but the was a 5 lber caught in the crouch a few weeks back
so some are around mate
i.ll be looking around end of march
if we get some settled weather
andthe river clears out
the blackwater changes it tune every year
vinn had half a dozen arond 5lb very late in the year in one day
but then hes jammy
pmsfl

Reactions: Had1lost2

·
Registered
775 Posts
What are the red gill sandeels? Weighted or u weighted?
upload_2020-2-29_22-10-45.jpeg

This kind or different?

I’d say start in May to give yourself a proper chance. Don’t burn out on blanks before the bass turn up.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
I was wondering if this is a good way to lure fish for bass off the south east coast of England for bass and other fish
Yes mate you could use the expensive savage gear sand eels yellow backs
Or the fish minnows or mega bass x layers
But you can find copies a lot cheaper on a well known Chinese site
The south east coast is quite a area to cover
I see your from Essex so you will feel at home fishing the Warren Folkestone but don't tell anyone because its a top SECRET KENT MARK

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are the red gill sandeels? Weighted or u weighted? View attachment 1250273
This kind or different?

I’d say start in May to give yourself a proper chance. Don’t burn out on blanks before the bass turn up.
Yes I have these ones I bought them just for a place to start really along with some mackerel oil. But a downwards facing hook is bound to snag so I bought some jig heads to attach them too if I find them effective I'll get the ones that already have weights in next time. Trying to learn this stuff is like crossing a mine field. I live in harwich I was gonna fish where the river stour meets the sea. I see a lot of people fishing down the road from my house but not sure how well they do. Most of them use beachcasters and ragworms. I wouldnt want to fish in these conditions atm anyway. Just trying to build my arsenal for when the time comes.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
black pearl seeker has been the one thats been best for me , but then i,m from essex so what do i know

Reactions: ROCK-ROVER

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So to fish the savage gear lures would I just attach a trace to the mainline then attach the lure? What would be the best way to fish the sandeels?

·
Registered
775 Posts
So to fish the savage gear lures would I just attach a trace to the mainline then attach the lure? What would be the best way to fish the sandeels?
So, the weightless sandeels work well. But you need something to get them out there. Search for “bombarda floats“, 20-25g are the normal weights people chuck. Put the bombarda between two small swivels and then a long 8-10ft trace to the weightless sandeel. A lot of the Scandinavians use this method with a fly for sea trout but it works very well for our sea bass.

the savage gear metals can be fished in a variety of ways, fast, slow, fast to a dead stop (spin stop) so vary it up until you catch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts