World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the carp barrows on sand and shingle, the Nash metro has a big fat wheel , wouldn't mind trying one but any body already tried a carp one,

Why do the carp boys get all the good toys, great bivvy's and barrows,

·
13,170 Posts
Depends, I guess on what the beach is made of.....and if you can pile all your sea tackle into a heap as big as the average carp angler's:showoff:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got sand and shingle on norfolk and Suffolk beaches, don't need to take much, just seat box full of gear, rod rest, rods and shelter etc

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the carp barrows on sand and shingle, the Nash metro has a big fat wheel , wouldn't mind trying one but any body already tried a carp one, Why do the carp boys get all the good toys, great bivvy's and barrows,
Basically as whole beach anglers a tighter than Yorkshiremen and think anything over a few bob is expensive......

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Got sand and shingle on norfolk and Suffolk beaches, don't need to take much, just seat box full of gear, rod rest, rods and shelter etc
Just got a two wheel match trolley as I only live 10 mins or so from yarmouth north beach.
Used it today walk to the beach was great but the 200yds over the sand was hard work.
The whole journey a damn sight better.

The wheels are wide like a golf trolley but hard work pulling over the sand easy on the wet hard stuff though.

Having used a one wheel barrow in the past pushing is hard work pulling is better.
Would not fancy doing it over dry sand soft shale may be hard work too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I am tight as well, Ive just seen a second hand tracker colossus bivvy's for sale for £680

Think I'll stick with my second hand Ron Thompson

I'm not even from Yorkshire , but I have been there :roll1:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I've tried 2 wheels. 3 wheels, 4 wheels, thin wheels, fat wheels. Combinations of them all :) I load everything on the trolley.
Fat wheels were 16" diameter and with ball bearings, but PUSHING them on shingle is like hitting a brick wall! pulling a lot easier, but still hard work.

So I went back to my thin wheels...front 2 are 20"BMX, and the back 2 are 16" BMX type. Platform is 24" wide X36" long, wheels placed on each corner. On the road/grass/firm sand or shingle it is a doddle.....even the wind will get it rolling:) but "top of the beach" shingle is still hard work, but manageable even for an 'old fella like me.

Worse trolley was one fitted with motor, set up like a tractor, 4 fat wheels. Got to be the best yet I thought. I could sit on it with all my gear and chug along on the pavement and grass, but as soon as it hit the shingle it came to a stop!
Anyone want to buy a small 12volt tractor unit :)

I now take the 4 wheel one right down the beach, and use a rope to pull it back up the steep bank at the top..............I struggle to climb that without any tackle so it works well for me.

I don't think there is any all round solution but my experience suggests that large diameter and narrow tyres is the best compromise.

Den

·
Registered
481 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the carp barrows on sand and shingle, the Nash metro has a big fat wheel , wouldn't mind trying one but any body already tried a carp one,

Humpalumpa - buy once, cry once:wah:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
If you have a 2 or 4 wheel barrow why push it, it's better to pull it behind you. Less the effort.
I do pull it on the shingle, but use it as a "zimmer frame" otherwise. As a sufferer with sciatica on top of old age and general debilitation of the body it is a godsend. The 4 wheels take ALL the load off me and allow me to stop for a rest every 50 yards or so.

Been using various barrows for about 34 years, since my back first went into spasm, and having a workshop with welding and milling machine and a lathe allows me to make almost any combination I want.............and believe me I have tried a few:)

Den

·
Registered
567 Posts

Because on the whole, carp anglers are more prepared to pay for their gear than sea anglers, who are usually a right load of tight wads.

As an ex Carp angler in the 80's the gear they have now was not available, but as a bait angler in 2009-2010 I made my Dad buy one as he was struggling to carry the amount of gear he wanted to take with him to Chesil, that place is bad enough on foot without tackle let alone with it, as has been said, pulling tends to be easier than pushing and definitely worth it in my opinion.

As a lure only angler now I carry the bare minimum of tackle but still try to steer clear of chesil, too many bad memories for me struggling to walk up and down the shingle terraces.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Here you go RNM

this is the "Zimmer" :)

As you can see, plenty of room for box and bait bucket, rods and RT and tripod on top...been known to take 2 lots of gear as well :) it will even go up steps!

Den

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Nice bit of engineering den how much to make me one ps wheres the steering wheel
Push down on handle and swivel on back wheels. can turn in it's own length :)

Some of the frame parts have been used and reused about a dozen times over the years. The bigger wheels I got from the council tip in Bromley in 1988, fitted a stub axle and 2 ball races to each, and they are still going strong 26 years later............done a couple of 100 miles I should think.

Makes the trip to the Chequers or the slipway a doddle :)

One thing I would add though, make sure the wheels have ball races and not plain bearings, but hang on tight if going downhill, or it will run away from you :)

This was my motorised 3 wheeler in the early 2000's everyone called me Delboy :)

Den

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Congrats m8, thats a fine looking contraption, but you take all that? to go beach fishing!

lighty

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Congrats m8, thats a fine looking contraption, but you take all that? to go beach fishing!

lighty

Ha Ha! no mate, that was in my carping days :)

Den

1 - 20 of 20 Posts