World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I already have a spinning rod that can cast up to 90g I was considering a carp rod possibly about 3lb test curve...Would a ros like 5his allow me to cast lures as light as plugs and various other lures. If so what range of weights do you folks think the rod would be capable of casting?

Many thanks

·
Registered
806 Posts
Many years ago there was a formula / guideline that you could cast an ounce for every pound of your rod’s test curve eg a one pound test Avon rod could cast an ounce say ledger or swimfeeder including bait etc. That was in the days of glass rods mind. I’d suggest you try your carp rod and feel what suits it. I have a 3-18 gm rod but reckon it’s more like 2-12 gm for the way I fish

·
Registered
633 Posts
As stated above, that rod is designed for casting 3oz leads, so you would need to be casting stuff around that sort of weight to get the best out of it, your best bet is to look at the weight of the lures you are wanting to use, then buy a spinning rod that matches as close as possible, the length of rod is down to your personal choice.

·
Registered
879 Posts
You can use a carp rod. But compared to a proper lure rod it’ll be rubbish. Floppy. Handle too long and heavy and won’t cast light lures like a lure rod with the correct rating.

Reactions: Had1lost2

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
working metals like tobys should be fine for Pollack bass but u won't have much control over plugs and they won't cast very well. but I bet you be surprised how far u can cast a 1oz Toby on it in calm weather !!!

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
12ft and 3lb test curve will get to be no fun lure fishing pretty dam quick.

Unless you are bait gathering with feathers and a dexter wedge such rods are best left in a rod rest !;)

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
58,360 Posts
You can use a carp rod. But compared to a proper lure rod it’ll be rubbish. Floppy. Handle too long and heavy and won’t cast light lures like a lure rod with the correct rating.
Spot on mate.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks very much...alot of valid points here. what length od rod would you suggest for casting plugs and other light lures...the whole reason i thought of the carp rod was its length

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
i use a spinning rod and can whack it out a fair distance,,,, a carp rod is too shoogly ideal for retrieving a couple of mackeral feathers though,caught a lot of mackis on my carp or pike rod,

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
58,360 Posts
ok thanks very much...alot of valid points here. what length od rod would you suggest for casting plugs and other light lures...the whole reason i thought of the carp rod was its length
General use around 9 foot :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I prefer 8’6” or 9ft at the most. Something rated about 7-28g would be ideal. I like to go lighter when I possibly can but with that you have most lures covered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts