World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys
i'm after a bit of info.
Still quite new to fishing, but would like a bit more of a fight fom the usual doggies i've caught.
It seems to me that on my usual beachcaster kit, it seems a bit of an overkill on the power of the equipment.
Would it sound stupid to use lighter equipmet?
I have searched a on the forum a bit and found a few ideas, carp rod etc.
What type of carp rod can be used?
i've seem a few in argos for £20-£30.. are these any good?
maybe for a try they would be ok, if it works perhaps buy something a bit better?
Does this sound a valid idea?

thank for any ideas..
Rog

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
hi mate i use a 10 foot 6 ins bass rod for bass fishing and the flatties plenty of power in them great bite detection and also a lot better sport,i use a shakespeare odessa bass rod if you shop around you can get them for £50 2-4ozs feel every kick off the fish hope this helps the dangler

·
Registered
200 Posts
Guys
i'm after a bit of info.
Still quite new to fishing, but would like a bit more of a fight fom the usual doggies i've caught.
It seems to me that on my usual beachcaster kit, it seems a bit of an overkill on the power of the equipment.
Would it sound stupid to use lighter equipmet?
I have searched a on the forum a bit and found a few ideas, carp rod etc.
What type of carp rod can be used?
i've seem a few in argos for £20-£30.. are these any good?
maybe for a try they would be ok, if it works perhaps buy something a bit better?
Does this sound a valid idea?

thank for any ideas..
Rog
sounds good for a bit of sport on lighter gear. having done a bit of carp fishing i have a few rods and the lighter type rod you'd need would be a 2 and 1/4 test curve rod. this is supposed to be calulated by suspending a weight and the curve is measured up to 90 degrees, so a 21/4 test curve rod will bend the blank through 90 degrees with a 21/4 weight suspended form it (think thats right). so a 3/12 lb test curve carp rod is much stiffer and more like a beach caster.

price, you get what you pay for, i'm not a snob or loaded, but wouldn't pay as little as that for a rod. up to you, if you are only using it occasionaly it may be ok. good luck

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Hi m8 have you ever done spinning have you got a rod for spinning/float/bass and light estuary:g: try the assassin from conoflex :clap2: a hugely enjoyable rod and it will put a smile on your face:notworthy it casts 1-3oz maybe not so good as to chuck a squid and lead together but worth a shot:blink: or theres the bze from greys casts 3/5oz which my daughter uses and is a delight to cast small weights with don`t bother wasting money on rods from argos i don`t know about you but i like to see what i`m buying and also it`s a dissapoinment if you look at it for the first time on the beach only to find an eye damaged:schmoll:

hope this helps tight lines

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Most of the time the equipment used for sea fishing is not to overcome the fish that are targetted, but to deal with the conditions we encounter. There are times when you can fish closer in, or with lighter leads when you can scale things down and of course have much more fun with the fish you catch.

I've used a 2.5lb carp rod quite a bit in the sea and it's good fun. Breakaways are a bit out of question, but if you can get away with plain leads then you can get a fight out of even 8oz bass. I normally use 10lb line and an ounce or two of lead up to around 20-30m out and have had codling, bass and sole up to 1.5lb, much more fun than using a broomstick if can do it. Planning on getting down to Gosport way over the summer for pop at the 'hounds with a carp rod, that'll be some scrap!

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi mate carp rods are fine to use i am not long sea fishing and find a carp fine to use on light tackle for flatties and mackerel and also doggies and i also use another one for spinning for bass i cant fault them i use 2 crap rods from dragon carp which cost £20 for both of them new thight lines vince

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi
I use a shakespear ganza carp rod and a small f/s, the rod cost £25 and reel £20, grate fun, but i would recomend a 2 1/2 to 3 lb test curve as anything less in my opinion is to soft to cast properly or use plugs on.
Mouse.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I use 2lb TC carp rods regularly and they are fine.
I also have a 1 /34lb TC which i use quite often. I personally would no want to go any heavier; may as well use a beachcaster if you do.

Fantastic for float fishing, plugging, spinning and light legering.

I'd also so dont bother with the rods from argos. Search around and you will get a good rod for about £50.

Reels - i use diawa bite n runs (baitrunners) but there are loads of good fixed spool reels about that are cheaper and up to the job.

With both the rod and reel - you'll get what you pay for so spend as much as you can afford - and shop around.

SS

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
a light carp or barbel rod are excellent for float fishing etc. the 2 1/2 - 3lb TC carp rods are ok for cast 2-3oz of lead but the bite detection is pretty poor because they are too floppy and bounce everywhere.

i think you would be better off with a sea quiver, bass or flattie rod, they have a light tip but a stiffish butt for the power needed to cast, gain bite detection and land a decent fish. there are alot of these light rods coming onto the market now. i had a 2lb dog on a quiver last night, bloody excellent, more of a fight than a treble shot on a light beachcaster.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Shakey Odessa bass is a good rod for light beach fishing and general all round spinning plugging etc.

I use mine to catch flatties from the pier.

I use it with either a Shimano 6000GTE baitrunner filled with 30lb berkley Whiplash and a 40lb mono leader or a Daiwa 7HT loaded with 15lb Sakuma Nite Crystal and a 50lb Ultima shockleader. For £50 they will not be beaten, i often leave century Tip Tornados at home in preferance to this in the summer months!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Casts 2-4oz no bother. Although have used plugs as light as 18g with it and lobbed 3oz of lead plus a mackerel head and guts with it. it also has plenty of backbone to stop a good sized pollack crash diving into the kelp and rock jungles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts