World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you use to carry your rods ??

if you use a quiver are your rods in a bag or loose if loose do you worry about them getting damaged ??

do you use a full length rod bag ??

I have mine in bags and in a full rod bag and I find it a real faf but I am worried if I use a quiver they will get damaged and I was trying to judge what everyone uses and fors and against :help:

·
The Cod Obsessed one.
15,553 Posts
Quiver, no bags.
They get battered on the beach, so a scratch in the quiver is not a concern for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cheap carpers neoprene rod-top protectors on each rod then just strap them and the tripod together with a pair of rod straps. In my case varivas ones; big enough to include my igloo should I need to.

Quivers/bags just add weight. Protection? From what? They're tools not ornaments. They're going to get a bigger battering from use than transit.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
quiver, with no rod bags. it does scratch the rods a bit, but i use rods to catch fish not attend a fashion parade on the beach.

mine has a pocket on the side just big enough for the beach buddy and straps and a cup/ pocket for the tripod on the outside. you can get 4 or 5 rods in the main pocket so plenty. i find the main pocket needs to be slightly shorter than the longest rod tip, so you can see where the tips are so they don't get caught and broken in the car and on the way to and from fishing.

·
I'M PROBABLY SICK OF IT
13,642 Posts
i use a quiver , rods in bags , preferably a full zip top to bottom so packing up is far easier esp if everything gets wet , a light thin quiver for a hike with just one rod and tripod and a wider heavier quiver if i need the bivvy , 2 rods and tripod

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I use a titan quiver and the cotton rod bags on my supercasts,the titan is 7ft so the rods are not sticking out the top, on my spod/bass rods I bought a cheap 2100mm drain rod bag for a fiver then put neoprene covers on the rod tips as they just poke out the top, nice light set up as no heavy holdall, plus everything can go into the seat box when fishing

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I use a salt quiver with no bags, but rods are strapped together with rod bands.
The zip runs about 3/4 of the length of the quiver with a strap at the top so the rods aren't loose and swinging about. Shelter and tripod can be strapped to the outside and there's a large zipped pocket at the base. It also has a hard plastic base to help protect the rods.
Its light and easy to carry over the shoulder, although the handle is perhaps slightly incorrectly placed unless something is carried in the bottom pocket to help balance it.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I use a shakespeare salt full length rod holdell fits 4 rods a tripod and my beach buddy and can carry comfortably

Ive done more damage to my rods while fishing than while moving about

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
i use a quiver , rods in bags , preferably a full zip top to bottom so packing up is far easier esp if everything gets wet , a light thin quiver for a hike with just one rod and tripod and a wider heavier quiver if i need the bivvy , 2 rods and tripod
A quiver with a full zip top to bottom :blink:

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
I use a kodex 2 rod holdall, I like to travel light. The kodex is a half length holdall and I carry my 3 piece rods in their bags. It will also take rod rest and brolly in separate compartments. Another item where the carp boys have moved ahead of us in design.

When I'm low water bassing I take my single bass rod in a wychwood quiver with reel already attached

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I use a shakespeare salt full length rod holdell fits 4 rods a tripod and my beach buddy and can carry comfortably Ive done more damage to my rods while fishing than while moving about
I use the Salt too, takes. 2 beach casters, a bass rod and 2 lure rods, plus tripod an sand spike . Although I rarely go done to the beach with that lot, either 2 rods & the tripod or 1 rod and the spike.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I use a salt bag with rods in bag,people are right the rods are tools but the longer you look after them the longer they will last,and maybe that's why none of me alconites have had cracked liners.

·
Global Moderator
23,141 Posts
Just strap 'me all together. Ain't worried about damage as I ain't planning on dropping 'me. The most I do is walk over shingle so no chance of slips or falls. No rod bags either, the rods are placed around my rolled up tent so no scratches either. (Keep an eye out for my next report during which I will no doubt fall and damage my rods!).

Rod bags are extra weight I can do without.

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
I have gone back from a quiver with Igloo, tripod and rod in bags to.

No rod bags, no quiver, no igloo, just a pair of rods with reels attached, strapped to the tripod.Over my shoulder and onto the beach,can be set up and fishing in 5 mins, no worries about where I have left the quiver, is it getting wet, etc.

I bought the igloo a couple of years ago and have only used it twice, so it sits in the cupboard now waiting for the next suitable weather to try it out , Dohhh.

My Titan Smock keeps me dry and warm.

Oh and the rods, well, even with the above setup, no damage,the butt sections are all fully x weave shrinktubed up over the factory shrinktube, and also have insulation tape from the top of the shrink, right up and over all the whipping and decals and the joints, saves the finish from getting scratched up, as so many have said, they are for fishing with, not looking at. The rods have some muck and fish guts and bait bits here and there it washes off .I am not bothered that nobody can see what make of rod it is,its not important to me, but the protective tape and shrink keeps the finish underneath more or less OK! if I want to move them on in future I know that removing the tape etc will take the rod back almost to as new.

Not so much of a tackle tart any more.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,770 Posts
I use a couple of those bendy-foam covered thingys to hold my rods (in bags) brolly or shelter, rest and gaff if required. No prob's!

·
Registered
17,081 Posts
Titan rod sling
Ditto. Most marks I fish would be a liability with a bulky rod bag.

The bag sometimes gets an airing to Chesil or on fishing holidays, but it's also a Salt and I find it a horrible unbalanced thing to carry, although it's quite well made.

So... finish the session, strap em together with the tripod, walk/climb back to the car, simples!

·
Sea Trout Fan
5,975 Posts
I just kick my rods along in front of me or if I'm fishing rocks, I throw them down helicopter style ..:yeah:

·
Registered
21,327 Posts
Throwing em like a javelin works better........

1 - 20 of 42 Posts