World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove down to Southerness to meet forum member Flash 1973. After introductions we went on a crab hunt to try and find suficient bait for a short session. This proved not too easy, an hours work gave a total of one wee peeler and nineteen small softies and crinklies. Round to Carsethorn just as the tide began to run in. Two light rods apiece, and me with hope of a good days sport. Alas not to be due to bait robbers and weed. I got a wee flounder quite early, and like an earlier wounded fish that I displayed, this one had a hole right thru its body, big enough to poke a finger thru. These flatties must be really hardy fish to survive so much damage. Then Flash aka Stuart got a knock and landed another wee flounder.That was his new rod and reel christened. Just as we were about to shift nearer to the car Stu got a bigger one, and that was the end of todays fish. I was disappointed for Stu, as I hoped for a more productive day, yet thats fishing. On the bright side Stuart thoroughly enjoyed his introduction to estuary fishing with crab as bait.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well done on your Flounders:1a: You would of probably had more if you didnt keep falling asleep. Shame you didnt manage to get more crabs for bait. Better luck next time mate.

Steven

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nae sleeping at Carsethorn Steven, too muddy. lol. Am out on Orca from Stranraer tomorrow, so a wee bit more action hopefully, Happy hibee the jam tarts fan was out today, a wee bit further round the coast, so if he had a decent day I will be going there on Sat. Also inviting Flash 1973 if he fancies a long walk out to the low tide mark. Then it is where to go Sun. Mon. and Tue. These difficult decissions !

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I hope you all catch loads on the Orca. No falling asleep now do you hear. I look forward to reading your report on your return. Why is he called the Happy hibee if he is a hearts fan?

Steven

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hibee is a hibs fan, I just try to wind him up, by telling him that he would be better supporting his hame team Q.O.S.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I think he would be better supporting Q.O.S aswell. As the other two are rank lol. Cheers bud.

Steven

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well done on your Flounders:1a: You would of probably had more if you didnt keep falling asleep. Shame you didnt manage to get more crabs for bait. Better luck next time mate.

Steven
so dab hand doesnt fall a sleep does he ?
serves you right for the jambo jibe jackie

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
Nae sleeping at Carsethorn Steven, too muddy. lol. Am out on Orca from Stranraer tomorrow, so a wee bit more action hopefully, Happy hibee the jam tarts fan was out today, a wee bit further round the coast, so if he had a decent day I will be going there on Sat. Also inviting Flash 1973 if he fancies a long walk out to the low tide mark. Then it is where to go Sun. Mon. and Tue. These difficult decissions !
You will get a good 1 1/2 hr sleep on the way out.....

·
Registered
14,635 Posts
I'm watching hibs now 0-6

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hi all sorry for the delay in report but just back from my 2 wk break in sunny southerness:yeah:
Firstly a BIG THANK YOU to Dab hand for the day and all the advice.
as Dab Hand says I managed to get 2 flatties my first real sea fish (unless you count mackie bashing from a charter boat in west wales last summer).
After my success on the thurs I decided to take my 9 yr old son out and impress him with all my new knowledge on the fri afternoon,. tried to remember everything I had been told the previous day. found out mounting a crab is not as easy as Dab hand made it look. but managed to continue my usual routine and caught nothing.
never mind will be out again next time I am down and will get them then lol.

cheers again Dab hand

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all sorry for the delay in report but just back from my 2 wk break in sunny southerness:yeah:
Firstly a BIG THANK YOU to Dab hand for the day and all the advice.
as Dab Hand says I managed to get 2 flatties my first real sea fish (unless you count mackie bashing from a charter boat in west wales last summer).
After my success on the thurs I decided to take my 9 yr old son out and impress him with all my new knowledge on the fri afternoon,. tried to remember everything I had been told the previous day. found out mounting a crab is not as easy as Dab hand made it look. but managed to continue my usual routine and caught nothing.
never mind will be out again next time I am down and will get them then lol.

cheers again Dab hand
Nae problem mate, sorry I could not make it yesterday, knackered! Went down today, took me ages to find 20 iffy crabs. At Carsethorn, same problem as other day, bait robbers, today crab baits lasted no more than 5 mins, and hooks were stripped. Crabs usually wait a respectable time before eating their own, and give a wee indication of their presence on the rod tip. So I reckon that the culprits were shrimps. Next time you are in the area, give me a shout, and I will try to have a more productive session. Not seen the Annan shrimp boats out for ages, so perhaps the shrimps are inshore in large number. Again nice to meet you Stuart, and haste ye back.
By the way I have a photo of you with your biggest flounder, my recent decent plaice, and mate with his bass approaching 5 lb. and hope to have hibee display them for me.
For interest hibee has a mate who knows a thing or two about the behaviour of sea birds, and he reckons that the flounder with a hole through its body was speared by a heron, whilst the photo I displayed of a flounder with a big wound in its side would have been caused by a cormanant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts