World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had Peterthefisherman and Andy down today for a wee go at flattie bashing at Carsethorn, in S.W. Scotland by Dumfries. Weather was superb, Sunny all day, a light Easterly which died away to nothing, leaving a calm sea. For bait they brought some raggies and some not very fresh mackerel, so we had a short spell at digging for lug to ensure sufficient for two rods each. Cast out about an hour after low tide, just as the water began to flood, first fish right away, and a steady stream of bites right up to high tide at 15.30. I left for home then to watch the football, leaving them to catch a few more. When I left Andy had about six or seven decent flounder and a couple of tiny tots, I managed to scrape a total of eight, and Peter was miles ahead with twenty two, all good fish. I would estimate the best fish to be in the region of 1 lb. 12 oz. One other lad who has just taken up the sport came along for a wee while, otherwise we had miles of coastline to ourselves. So when I left the total was in excess of thirty fish, and they were still biting, so no doubt Peter will let me know soon, the final score. We all used light estuary rods which are a pleasure to fish with at this venue. Tackle losses were nil, the only problem being the constant retreat before the incoming tide which is relentless in its rush to force you back to the high tide mark. Some weed, which would jam at the top eye, but nothing serious. Nice to see so many fish giving good sport after so many reports of poor returns from around the country.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cracking report:clap3:

How good was the digging Dab Hand. Had heard that the digging had been pretty slow. Also, another couple of days like we had today, and I would expect that we should be able to get a few peelers.

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Had a superb days fishing - I finished with 29 , Andy had about 12 (claimed he lost count !!!!) :)
Fished about an hour of the ebb and were catching right up to the end , the last fish I had was my biggest at about 1.5 Lb. Andy caught some of the smallest flounders I have ever seen !!!! but the average size was very good , - I would estimate the average fish to be about 3/4 Lb with many about the Lb mark :)
Highlight of the day for me was a triple shot on on rod and a double shot on the other within a couple of minutes !!!!
Thanks very much for meeting us Dab Hand - as always it was a pleasure to fish with you :notworthy
Peter :)

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Nice one lads a good day by the sound of it ,well done on the triple shot Peter :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
You can't beat a good Flattie session well done boys.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Loganboy, Welcome to the forum, digging not too bad, I managed eighty in an hour yesterday at Southerness, Not good enough to attract professional diggers so don't mind advertising it. Tried at South Carse last week, terrible, about fifteen in an hour. I had a look again for crabs today, nothing but the wee fingernail sized ones, as you say, another week or two.
Great total there Peter, I think I've got a couple of photos of todays activities, one of you with a double shot of flounder and one of Andy with that monster flounder of about 2" length. Will post soonest.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
That sounds miles better than my local beach, where 3 flounder is a good average.
would love to try that mark sometime!!!
Bet it fishes well in the winter months when the flounder are nice and plump.

Thats got me in the mood for a flattie session

Nice catch guys:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks dab hand. Sounds as if you had a good day. Always a bonus to get a bit of sport in march!! Tend to do a bit of my local digging at southerness...have always found Caresthorn pretty slow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thats a great day you had yesterday,i fished Ballantrae beach today and caught 2 flounders on Mackeral so there must be some kicking about,

Robert.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Glad you lot had a good day. Not spoke for a while - I have been away in the poor season!

I'll catch up with you sometime soon Jack/Peter et al... cheers

Dan

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I guess that was you up another set of Hockeye's Peter !! Good report and nice photo's dab hand.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Good report guys - good to see you are still getting fish at this time of year, not been out in a while. I even resorted to the dark side and went pike fishing last friday...an all new low for me :uhuh:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pike fishing Lewis ! my you are going downhill mate, lots of flatties localy, and plaice should show soon. First small group of peelers should show shortly also, then things will realy take off. Still mourning the loss of my bulldog potato fork that I must have left near Southerness lighthouse, after digging bait on Friday, expensive to replace, so will visit car boot sales to see if I can find another. Bump into you one of these days.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Pike fishing Lewis ! my you are going downhill mate, lots of flatties localy, and plaice should show soon. First small group of peelers should show shortly also, then things will realy take off. Still mourning the loss of my bulldog potato fork that I must have left near Southerness lighthouse, after digging bait on Friday, expensive to replace, so will visit car boot sales to see if I can find another. Bump into you one of these days.
Yep and I'm back out for pike again tomorrow, its a slippery slope :unsure:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts