World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High tide roughly 10.30 a.m. today at Carsethorn. I arrived about 11 a.m. just as the sea began to fall back. After yesterdays session I had very little bait left, only about a dozen crabs in various stages of peeling. Car park quite full but managed to squeeze in. A couple of lads fishing in front of the village, so I moved right to fish at the last groynes. Put out two rods, both light estuary ones, with 2 hook flappers, into a fish right away, then another seven before tide started to race out. A gentleman in the house behind me offered a bucket with crabs that he had collected yesterday, but they were all hardbacks. I thanked him and showed him how to tell the difference between useable and non useable. Fishing the ebb was rather slow, but once near the low water mark the bites became plentyful. I ended up with nineteen before running out of bait, all very good flounder, which I would estimate as a 30 lb. bag. missed at least six bites. Had to use the same bait time and time again, otherwise I believe tally would be much higher. Got some snaps of this session which I will display as soon as poss. Talked to one guy at the car park, he only had two fish to lugworm, but his mate with crab bait had twenty one.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
That sounds like a cracking session dab hand, Well done :clap3:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Another good flounder session there,Dab would i be right in saying it's picking up a bit in sw scotland now?

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is certainly good for flounder at Carsethorn, yet at Rough firth yesterday, things were slow, will have a clearer picture tomorrow when I know the results of todays Peever open, which is a rover within the limits of Balcary to Creetown.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Well done sounds like a good day, hopefully get out for the first time in a while next weekend (back to uni in Edinburgh tonight) Good to see things are starting to pick up :fish:

·
Registered
797 Posts
sound's like you had a great day m8 the way thing's are going it's looking like it could be a good year

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Crab was the winning ingredient again then dab, nice session mate.
Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talking to mate a few mins. ago and he gave me report on Peever open yesterday, Solway marks hotting up, Heaviest fish was a bass of over 5lb. next was a cod in excess of 4 lb. and third was a small thornback. Heaviest bag was in the mid thirties ( doggies ) Other species weighed in were flounder, dab, pollack and common eel. Bass came from the river at Kirkcudbright, and the cod from Rascarrel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Nice one DH. I would have come over to join in the flattie fishing but didn't have any fresh peelers. Still I had a good time at Rascarrel and up the Mull Fri and Sat, with doggies, pollack and dabs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I take it the boy with the Lugworm was refering to his Ex-mate! Imagine having dynamite bait and not sharing with a mate :giveup:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You are right there Craig, but there is nowt as funny as folk. I assumed it was his mate because they were fishing quite close to each other, and he knew his name, so I used my usual arithmetic where two and two make six. lol. I share my bait but admit to keeping the best ones for myself. Don't tell Peterthe fisherman, wee Andy or Bmac. or they will be searching in the false bottom of my bait bucket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts