World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems to be all the rage lately, also seems pretty expensive for something that would probably be discarded.
It does get the grey-matter working though, so I'm thinking- what about a similar process being applied to left over bait such as fish, squid and worms?
Gotta be worth a try don't you think?

·
13,170 Posts
Have a look at a couple of Seascenter threads, that have been put up recently.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 'seascenter' idea is something me and a mate dabbled with well over ten years ago.
We used to stand 6" lengths of sink waste pipe on a tray and blu-tack around the bottom, to create a watertight seal between pipe and tray, then fill with mashed mackerel and push a large-bore drinking straw down through the centre til it hit the tray.
The tray is then placed in the freezer. Once frozen the mackerel lolly can be pushed out of the pipe ( stubborn ones can be released by passing under a hot tap).
We used them on the boat but a similar result using smaller bore pipe can be used from the shore.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hook bait.

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
The 'seascenter' idea is something me and a mate dabbled with well over ten years ago.
We used to stand 6" lengths of sink waste pipe on a tray and blu-tack around the bottom, to create a watertight seal between pipe and tray, then fill with mashed mackerel and push a large-bore drinking straw down through the centre til it hit the tray.
The tray is then placed in the freezer. Once frozen the mackerel lolly can be pushed out of the pipe ( stubborn ones can be released by passing under a hot tap).
We used them on the boat but a similar result using smaller bore pipe can be used from the shore.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a hook bait.
I make my own cart, and often just through unused mussel or worm on to the tray before slicing.
I also considered blending mackerel and stuffing into squid tubes, and casting frozen, but not got round to it.
Tried that with cart, but discovered they needed to be casted still frozen, or they just burst in cast and water entry.
I reckon, worth a try for beaches and post-December Scottish cod fishing?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input mate.
Reckon I'll start saving bait at the end of a session until I have a reasonable amount to mix up and give it a go.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
seen cart work ( or maybe not ) it flies off the hook when you try to cast any distance !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
try fox arma mesh ,,14mm or an old pair of tights to keep the cart together,,,,use pennel hooks or just a big circle hook

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
what about pva bags...used them loads when carp fishing..
will hold a 4 oz lead and about 3 oz of bait...:shutup:
100 pva bags 35x85 nonstik pva bags katch karp pva | eBay

Doesn't pva melt on contact with water?
I think cart has a high percentage of water so unless you can bait up and cast very fast, using pva might prove troublesome.

In the unlikely event that the pva bag lands intact it will melt and leave nothing around the hook.

Fox arma mesh works well in 14mm size on a 3/0 pennel for shore work; although it is still not crab proof!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't pva melt on contact with water?
I think cart has a high percentage of water so unless you can bait up and cast very fast, using pva might prove troublesome.

In the unlikely event that the pva bag lands intact it will melt and leave nothing around the hook.

Fox arma mesh works well in 14mm size on a 3/0 pennel for shore work; although it is still not crab proof!
Yep, would melt as soon as you touched it.
Currently looking at finger bandage and some other boilie/paste mesh possibilities.
I like the sausage skin idea, just seems like a fair bit of bother

·
Registered
9,151 Posts
or you could use finger bandage , its cheaper ,,,,,,,,,,
Finger bandage works out quite expensive, if you wrap each bait in it.
My solution was taking cart frozen in cling film, then just wrapping each in muslin cheese cloth on the hook. Incidentally, I use that with mussels too.
I reuse the squares till they are lost in snags.

Cheap as chips!

·
Landypirate
1,591 Posts
Finger bandage works out quite expensive, if you wrap each bait in it.
My solution was taking cart frozen in cling film, then just wrapping each in muslin cheese cloth on the hook. Incidentally, I use that with mussels too.
I reuse the squares till they are lost in snags.

Cheap as chips!
only if you pay for it ,,,,,,,,:yeah:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there jay2578, just read you're post about crab cart. I have got hold of a dedicated meat mincer that also has a sausage making attachment which I have used to make my own crab cart, yes edible crab can be very expensive, however if you can go to you're nearest fishing dock you can at times haggle the price down with local fishermen. I have used various variations on the crab cart e.g. a mixture of various shell fish and other fish both separate and mixed together will give results. It will cost around £40 for the mixer but this will provide endless hours of working time making baits that you can freeze. What I did was to go to my local market and chatted with some of the fish mongers and made a few friends by buying from them regularly for a few weeks until they get to knowing me, I got well in with a couple and they now let me have some of their stock that they would otherwise throw away for next to nothing. Also, look for you're nearest Chinese food store as they often sell all manner of sea food much cheaper than a tackle shop, the cheapest of all is if you can drive to the coast and collect you,re own shellfish baits and make you're own cart baits, an old freezer that works is great as you can make a shed load at any one time and you're partner wont go mad at you for stinking out the house. "Good luck and tight lines"

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Does PVA melt at the same rate in Saltwater then?? As i tried it once in the docks in Portsmouth, and it was still intact 25 minutes later?? Admiteddly it was cheap PVA, but id be interested in finding out the answer to this...

To the op, I remeber a session a couple of years ago at pagham beach where one of us was using a seascenter and the other 2 werent, the 2 of us without one blanked and the guy with the seascenter caught 4 nice thornies, all on the bottom hook close to the seascenter, that was filled with a mix of old mackerel, squid and mussels we'd saved up for a few months, could've been a coincidence but im not a huge believer in them tbh...

Jim

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use old finger bandage, i get it from work for nothing so its fine on that front.
I found armamesh to be a bit too "wide meshed" and cart baits wash out a bit quicker than finger bandage. like the idea of making cart and mussel sausages but will need to find a sausage machine! Thing is, over my local patch, the good old black lug fishes better than most other baits. ive not had a touch on other staples as squid/macky/peeler but again, ive not really fished these baits over the correct conditions, usually as frozen baits in despairation because ive wanted to get out on the beach but not had an opportunity to collect bait/pump lug etc yet had some squid in the freezer or got a macky off the supermarket fishmonger. case of this bait or no bait at all! I fish mainly all sand storm beaches where lug is by far the most natural bait on offer to the fish. in this environment the fish must be more used to finding worms/razors/clams etc then a dead mackerel or whole squid bobbing about on an otherwise sandy "featureless" storm beach. peelers rarely produce either, which is strange as the beaches are stuffed with bait robbing crabs so they must be available for food. after all, in their natural habitat, peeling crabs hide themselves to prevent predation (as well as mate as the **** mates with the hen as she peels which is why you can find a hard back clinging onto a softie) i should imagine a peeler in the normal course of things would be a difficult meal to obtain hidden under rocks. ive landed enough bass and cod with their stomachs containing hardbacks to know that they are eating them when the opportunity arises. the crabs must go somewhere to peel, but there is very little cover on my local marks so where do they go? Do they bury themselves in the sand? (which i imagine would then make them far more vunerable to predation and far easier for the fish to find and extract) maybe i should lay a few peeler traps so they have somewhere to go! However, as i said, i dont get much joy on peelers on my local mark.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts