World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having struggled a bit with casting long rigs, i tried a moonfleet angling cascade for the first time recently. this was a revelation! not a rig i would attempt to copy - it being quite complicated - it makes casting long rigs a dream.

many shop bought rigs (imho) are too short. what is the point of having your snood right at the top of the rig if it still means your are only a couple of feet off the bottom? i found the other day that straight after raisng my snood to the top of the moonfleet rig i was the only angler in our little group to catch.

so if you want a good long, strong, adjustable rig, i would recommend you try a moonfleet angling cascade rig.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I would suggest unless you are dropping the rig straight down the side of a pier that your baited hook would still be on the sea bed,what species of fish did you catch?

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
I would suggest unless you are dropping the rig straight down the side of a pier that your baited hook would still be on the sea bed,what species of fish did you catch?

I agree with interceptor. If your fishing a beach, unless your fishing at very close range with you rod tips right up? your baits will almost certainly be on the sea bed (which meens the bloody crabs can get em!)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
having struggled a bit with casting long rigs, i tried a moonfleet angling cascade for the first time recently. this was a revelation! not a rig i would attempt to copy - it being quite complicated - it makes casting long rigs a dream.

many shop bought rigs (imho) are too short. what is the point of having your snood right at the top of the rig if it still means your are only a couple of feet off the bottom? i found the other day that straight after raisng my snood to the top of the moonfleet rig i was the only angler in our little group to catch.

so if you want a good long, strong, adjustable rig, i would recommend you try a moonfleet angling cascade rig.
doesn't matter the length of the rig. your bait WILL be on the bottom. Go for a cast on the field, i bet 80% of the line you have out will be on the deck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fairly close in off gynn wall, so main line at steepish angle. too tired, or would attempt to do the maths!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
fairly close in off gynn wall, so main line at steepish angle. too tired, or would attempt to do the maths!
Don't worry mate, there's plenty on here who caan tell you where you're going wrong, with whatever you try.

Strangely enough, many of them also complain that there's no fish to be caught in the sea. At least you proved them wrong on that score.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Go for a cast on the field, i bet 80% of the line you have out will be on the deck.
No sh1t Sherlock?

He caught fish and do you know why?

He wasn't casting on a field!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
so if you want a good long, strong, adjustable rig, i would recommend you try a moonfleet angling cascade rig.[/QUOTE]

No disrespect intended the price puts me off, I don't like paying others to tie knots for me, especially when I can buy the component parts and make my own for approx a third of the cost.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
No disrespect intended the price puts me off, I don't like paying others to tie knots for me, especially when I can buy the component parts and make my own for approx a third of the cost.[/QUOTE]

sorry but the price of the rigs is no more than Gemini and you get a shed load more for your money. in fact massive amounts more.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Regardless of the manufacturer Ian, the unit price of a home made rig is still about a third of the price of a bought one. ie.10 ready mades or 30 diy's,that way I get much more for my money,have the satisfaction of making them myself and have total freedom of component choice.Fortunately I don't have to pay for the time it takes me!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No disrespect intended the price puts me off, I don't like paying others to tie knots for me, especially when I can buy the component parts and make my own for approx a third of the cost.[/QUOTE]

if you have the manual dexterity and the eyesight, then go for it. i don't. i can knock up a more basic rig, and enjoy doing so. but something like this, i'd tie meself in knots rather than the line.

no disrespect to you either, but it does sometimes seem the british way to knock enterprising people.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Not sure who's doing the knocking,but if the British or any other Nation want to knock me for showing initiative and a willingness to undertake new projects in order to save money,so be it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can see both sides of the argument. However, there will always be people who have not got the time / skill / inclination or knowledge to tie their own rigs, and this is where Ian (or others) come into their own.

I have never met Ian, or had one of his rigs, but it is a 'no brainer' to see that his product is second to none, from all the comments on here about them. Sheer lazyness has prevented me from ordering several different rigs fom Moonfleet, just to see what the fuss is about, and perhaps to copy later on.

Ian is always on here giving advice (free like the rest of us) so an attack on his service, however slight is a no no in my opinion.

Most of us will always prefer to make our own rigs, but it may be worth just seeing what else out there might be better.

Cheers,
Mart.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Can see both sides of the argument. However, there will always be people who have not got the time / skill / inclination or knowledge to tie their own rigs, and this is where Ian (or others) come into their own.

I have never met Ian, or had one of his rigs, but it is a 'no brainer' to see that his product is second to none, from all the comments on here about them. Sheer lazyness has prevented me from ordering several different rigs fom Moonfleet, just to see what the fuss is about, and perhaps to copy later on.

Ian is always on here giving advice (free like the rest of us) so an attack on his service, however slight is a no no in my opinion.

Most of us will always prefer to make our own rigs, but it may be worth just seeing what else out there might be better.

Cheers,
Mart.

Ditto.... though i,m still waiting for a certain "charity rig" unless the idea has been binned...... Chris

·
Registered
2,580 Posts

Cheers,
Mart.
Very radical post smart20,by the same thought process would the choice between a zziplex and an anyfish anywhere be a no brainer?:g:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Very radical post smart20,by the same thought process would the choice between a zziplex and an anyfish anywhere be a no brainer?:g:
Hi Inter,
Been away for a few days, but am now taking the bait and pulling round the tip of your pro am !

Interestingly, I almost bought a pro am mail order from Dave D (Yarmouth) many years ago, but ended up building a Federation from a local tackle shop. For me, the fed had the best bite detection of any rod I have owned, but unfortunately, has now gone a little soft over the years. I looked around many local tackle shops for another rod, and after wiggling countless conoflex, Century, greys and Daiwa rods, personally I found the afaw match to be the best I found. I needed a rod that could cast 170 grams when needed, be nice and stiff, but have a nice fine tip and good bite indication - my afaw match has a 3,1mm tip, which is the finest I could find loking at all the rods mentioned, still retaining great bite indication.Two years on and I have no regrets - it is still an absolute joy to use, and the build quality was brilliant. Have I any complaints - yes, the coasters are great, but soon looked horrible, as the knurled collars have corroded. Only a minor niggle, but one that could have been easily avoided though.

To your question - Is it as good as a zippy - a 'no brainer' ? Only time will tell - you know as well as me, what a quality product a zippy is. All I can say is zippys price and availability are the downside, and the lower end of the market is catching up fast. There are a bundle of good rods out there, only seperated by personal preferance to be honest.

How is your pro am holding up - is it on a brown blank ? From the research I did at the time, it seemed to be a perfect fishing rod in its day - what put me off then and swung me to the afaw now, is the lack of places you can go and see the zippy rods / blanks, and it is a lot of money to pay out 'blind'. Out of interest, what conditions do you fish in, and how does the rod cope. I'm also sure the pro am was really a down the butt type, and at the time, I was an 'up the butt' caster - just interested in your personal opinion of the rod, and how it has held up over the years.

Tight lines,
Mart at home.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts