World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m just looking for some advice, I’ve seen people with fixed spools wrap the line around their rod with a few turns the hold the line in place with their thumb which acts as a casting cannon.
How safe is this method? My biggest worry is that the line might some how catch on the eyes and damage them. I’d prefer not to use a casting cannon and this method seems like a good alternative what do you think?

·
Registered
9,812 Posts
If you are looking for ways to release the line from a fixed spool with your thumb, then there are Breakaway releases designed for thumb action on the top of the rod, or alternatively there are Den's Triggers - search Poledark on the tackle forum.

Reactions: valleyboy

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hi I’m just looking for some advice, I’ve seen people with fixed spools wrap the line around their rod with a few turns the hold the line in place with their thumb which acts as a casting cannon.
How safe is this method? My biggest worry is that the line might some how catch on the eyes and damage them. I’d prefer not to use a casting cannon and this method seems like a good alternative what do you think?
Me and my fishing partner have always over 30 years used a leather glove doing a powerful back cast. Do your cast put the glove in your pocket for your next cast. I carry a spare glove in my box and if the glove gets a bit smelly i just wash it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Another vote for the leather gardening/work glove. Morrison’s supermarket does a good version.
Seen a couple of finger stalls sliced through, enough to put me off them although I’m sure there are better quality ones out there.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Dens Triggers still available, £12 each on Ebay....:) nice little xmas present for your self or a good friend :)

Den

1 - 13 of 13 Posts