World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm totally new to fishing and am having problems with casting any distance. Does anyone know somebody who fishes either Chesil/ Lyme Regis/ Seaton area who might meet on evening for a bit of advice and cast coaching?
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
you could always go along to dorchester maiden castle there is a tournament event this weekend

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sorry to say this, but a tournament is not the place to learn; the competitors may be friendly, some may be knowledgeable, but a 200+ badge is not a qualification to teach anyone. A bit of advice is one thing, but trying to teach somone in a competitive environment is not the place to try. Go and watch, ask questions, but find somewhere quiet where you can try out what you have seen, and see if it works for you. Contact Colin Olver, he operates in your area, I am sure he could help you.

philtherod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to you both for the advice, not going to be able to go this weekend as i am off to Spain for a week. Do they hold these events regularly?

·
Registered
426 Posts
i disagree totally the casting " tournaments" are a brilliant place to learn i could not find a local instructor so i went to kentsportcast i had loads of help from the chap who runs it and ALL the people who were there i have since been to a few diffrent clubs and have learnt to cast safetly and alot further than i could before all the help and advice is given freely and i know for a fact that you would be welcomed at the dorchester meet so dont be put off by the word tournament they are actually more of a friendly meet

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
i disagree totally the casting " tournaments" are a brilliant place to learn i could not find a local instructor so i went to kentsportcast i had loads of help from the chap who runs it and ALL the people who were there i have since been to a few diffrent clubs and have learnt to cast safetly and alot further than i could before all the help and advice is given freely and i know for a fact that you would be welcomed at the dorchester meet so dont be put off by the word tournament they are actually more of a friendly meet
dave, i could,nt agree more. the number of times myself and others have offered good advice only to have it knocked down makes me wonder at times. most casters at meets will bend over backwards to help as a way of putting something back into our sport. and the tuition is free!

·
Registered
426 Posts
im glad someone agrees with me i have done many sports over the years but never have i met so many people that are so willing to help people out on my 1st ever visit to a casting club i had people lending me rods and reels worth hundreds of pounds with out batting a eyelid and so many people have given me help with advice and taking time to show me how to cast propelery,,,and as far as i know not one of them considers themselfs to be a "casting instructor" just people willing to share there knowledge as for owning a 200 plus badge making them a instructor that is a very sad statement to make

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all who have offered their advice and comments, I will indeed look into joining the D.A.B. and hopefully get some help :boat:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts