World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, using a size 4 intermediate line with a 5ft leader I can cast roughly 30ft, 35 with the wind behind me.

this is more than adequate for river/stream fishing but for the lochs near my home it seems pitifully inadequate.

what should I be aiming for? I use a 9ft middle to tip action rod and an overhead cast with the rod held above my shoulder.

i havent been doing this long but i have a pretty easy casting action and would like to improve it.

is a 5ft leader long enough?

·
Registered
12 Posts
ok, using a size 4 intermediate line with a 5ft leader I can cast roughly 30ft, 35 with the wind behind me.

this is more than adequate for river/stream fishing but for the lochs near my home it seems pitifully inadequate.

what should I be aiming for? I use a 9ft middle to tip action rod and an overhead cast with the rod held above my shoulder.

i havent been doing this long but i have a pretty easy casting action and would like to improve it.

Your leader length is long enough for certain fly fishing i.e. lures on a sinking line at a fishery. I use a 7wgt line for sinking lines and an 8wgt for my floater. I usually use a team of three flies and the top dropper is usually about 5 - 6 feet from my braided leader. I use a 10ft fast action rod and depending on the length of my leader and the weight of the flies depends on how far I (try) to cast. I find the longer the leader the harder it is to get a good distance with a weighted fly. If I were to fish a single non weighted fly with my weight forward 8 floater with a leader one and a half time the length of my rod (most professionals recommend this length) I would be looking to cast out all of my fly line. But this is only required if the fish are far out, most of the times fish are close enough to the banking to reach with a descent medium cast. You will find at fisheries some people stroll staight into the water to wade out waist deep puting the fish further and further out of reach. I tend to go where it is quiet, trying to cast as far as you can for a full day will take it out of you.
Don't try too hard for distance, timing and technique will cast the best line. Go to Google video and type in fishing. Some of the videos show some casting techniques and some are just pure brilliant in their own rights, (watch and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If you want to cast further you'll find that if you get a heavier rod and line 7 8 or even 9 you'll cast further more quickly.I've taught a fair few people to cast and I always start the men off with an 8wt and ladies with a 7wt,I think it's because you feel the heavier lines easier on the backcast.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys.

my rod is a 6-7 wieght so I dont want to put a heavy line on it. my mate did that and it did nothing but loop and flop into the water about 6 feet in front of him.

i suppose the distance thing comes from sea fishing and wanting to put my bait out as far as I can. i reckon ive found my rods limit at 30ft though, so i will try to fish smaller lochs so it looks further out.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Try at least a 6wt your distance will go up straight away!

·
Registered
477 Posts
thanks guys.

my rod is a 6-7 wieght so I dont want to put a heavy line on it. my mate did that and it did nothing but loop and flop into the water about 6 feet in front of him.

i suppose the distance thing comes from sea fishing and wanting to put my bait out as far as I can. i reckon ive found my rods limit at 30ft though, so i will try to fish smaller lochs so it looks further out.
If the rod is a 6/7 weight you will struggle to cast very far with a 4 weight line. The weight of the line is designed to load the rod. That loading is what actually casts the line - not your physical strength.

Using a 4 weight you will need to aerialise far more line than is comfortable to deal with just to get sufficient loading into the rod.

Use a six weight, you will find the rod works far more efficiently. That will enable greater distance (which is rarely needed). If you rteally need to cast long distances you will need to learn how to double haul, and preferably with a shooting head setup.

I can actually cast further with a 4 weight rod I have than anything else I've ever used, but that rod is so beautifully balanced it's a crime :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
try and get it in the mind set that distance is not what is needed with fly fishing (it took me ages to gey used to it), I catch most of my Fish in the Margins or about 3 rod lengths out max, practice getting a good straight line out and gentle presentation

Oh aye and get casting lessons, it makes a huge differance

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
As has been said already, match the rod with the line it's designed for, a 6/7 weight should be matched with a 6/7 weight line not a 4 weight. Use the recommended line and you will find things much more balanced and your distances will improve because you will be able to compress and work the rod more easily. Think of it as trying to cast a 10g lure with a 6oz beach rod (or vice versa - a 6oz baited pulley on a 10-40g spinning rod!!) :fishing1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks guys.

My rod is a 7 - 8 so for sinking lines I use 7 lines and use an 8 line for my floater. Works brilliantly. For distance I use weight forwards and double tapers for presentation.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys, thanks. Im new to this game and the line I was using was a 7 wieght and i didnt like casting it, it seemed a bit heavy, too heavy for the kind of fishing I mainly want to do; looking for wild brownies in streams and shallow rivers.

i guess I will buy a heavier line then (better quality that the RT one I have already) and see how that does, although it seems that distance isnt the main thing.

this is far more involved than I thought it would be.

·
Banned
820 Posts

Your line is way too light. You would need a lot of a 4 weight out to load a 6/7 weight rod.
The AFTM scale works like this:

30ft of 6 line is equivelent in weight to 24ft of a 7. 36ft of 6 line is equivelent to a 7 and so on.
So to get a 4 to load your rod and cast properly you would need approximately 48-50ft of 4 line out.
There is no hard and fast rule on this. Most rods will handle various line lengths
Needs a very good casting technique to make that light 4 line work well though on a 6/7 rated rod.

As you are novice and learning to cast well and perfect your technique, my suggestion is to get a Long Belly WF6 or a Std WF7 and your rod will work a lot better.
Assuming the rod is correctly rated and you find your line flopping etc. It is your casting technique that you need to work on.
A too light a line won't help there.
5 ft for your leader is a bit short, but you are using an intemediate so is not too bad. With a floting line a minimum of 7ft is okay but I use 12ft or longer as keeping the fly as far away from the splash/ripple/shock wave of the tip landing is a good idea:)

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
i use nothing heavier than a 4wt.good timing and let the rod do the work.i also use a 2wt 6'6" rod that casts a dream to 30ft but all rods have there limits.double hauling will get you out futher but most fish esp the bigger ones like the egdes ,more food there for them. light flies long leaders 20ft or so.heavy flies short leaders6-8ft.very heavy flies will need quite a powerful rod ,good general wt is 7wt will cast most flies.if all else fails get a casting instructor to look at your technique you will learn a lot.

·
Banned
820 Posts
i use nothing heavier than a 4wt.good timing and let the rod do the work.i also use a 2wt 6'6" rod that casts a dream to 30ft but all rods have there limits.double hauling will get you out futher but most fish esp the bigger ones like the egdes ,more food there for them. light flies long leaders 20ft or so.heavy flies short leaders6-8ft.very heavy flies will need quite a powerful rod ,good general wt is 7wt will cast most flies.if all else fails get a casting instructor to look at your technique you will learn a lot.
i like a 4 weight too Problem as you say with a 4 weight line is you can'y cast bigger flies well with it.
4 is a nice delicate line and I use them when the river is low or stillwater conditions allow. But if it's windy and it in you face you struggle to turn a bigger fly over into that wind.
There is a moral issue as well. The Rainbow Trout being stocked in stillwaters now are much bigger than wild ongrown fish. A 4 weight rod is not powerfull enough I feel to play out these fish quickly and they take a long time to subdue at times. If the fish are big, I match up with a more powerfull rod. That's my choice as I'm happier that it is a bit less cruel on the fish and gets it on the bank quicker.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've had rainbows to 18lb on my 3 wt Sage,I only use it for stillwaters if I'm going to kill the fish,I'd never use it for catch and release,it would stress the bigger fish up too much!

·
Banned
820 Posts
Sure you can take big fish with a light outfit and if you want to do that, it's your choice, but you have to asky why, what's the point?
A 3 weight rod is not powerfull enough I feel to play out these fish in a reasonable time and they take a long time to subdue at times.
Even if you are going to kill the fish. What fun is there in having an 18lb fish stressed out on the end of your line for a long time? It is not right I feel or clever or even skillful.
These big stocked fish are a joke and pretty dumb and poor sport. compared to a wild fish of a third of that size.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
If you want to learn flycasting, go on the GAIA (Game Angling Instructors Association) website, this is the only S&TA sanctioned organisation for flycasting instruction, find a GAIC or APGAI, yes it'll cost a few bob, worth it to avoid all the pitfalls, some of which have been highlighted on this thread.

philtherod

·
Registered
218 Posts
As someone else has already said, get on sexyloops.com. Awesome site with some really great casting info. A key thing I have found with my casting is avoiding creep (look it up on sexyloops). It's a very common casting problem and stopping it dramatically improves casting.

If you really want to cast further, learn to double haul. If you are keen on improving your casting in general, then practice on grass. I'm sure a lot of people will say this is unneccessary, however it really does improve your casting...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts