World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am using a TDPK13M Rod , An ABU7000 ER with level wind, 0.35 mm line ,60lb shocky, 5oz lead ,

the problem is i can only cast to 93 yards !! the funny thing is i can constantly cast to exactly the same distance nearly every cast :g:

now i dont think its the rod because it seems to have plenty in reserve ,i am starting to think its the levelwind slowing the cast down ,i must also add the mechanical brake is completly off with a spool mvement of 1-1.5 mm .

would going upto a 6oz lead make any differance?

any ideas lads ?

Mark

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The levelwind WILL be slowing the cast down. What do you mean by the mechanical brake? I take it you mean the end caps on either side of the reel. Have you checked to see how many brake blocks are inside you should only need 2 or maybe even 1 with the levelwind slowing things down. I'm not sure id the 7000 Er has bearings or bushes but a clean out and a light application of some yellow rocket fuel may help.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The levelwind WILL be slowing the cast down. What do you mean by the mechanical brake? I take it you mean the end caps on either side of the reel. Have you checked to see how many brake blocks are inside you should only need 2 or maybe even 1 with the levelwind slowing things down. I'm not sure id the 7000 Er has bearings or bushes but a clean out and a light application of some yellow rocket fuel may help.

hi millser

yeah i mean the side caps ,not sure if it even has brake blocks lol will have a look just now lol .

will get back to you in a min to let you know .

Mark

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeap it has 4 brake blocks i take it i just remove them 1 at a time and see how it goes ?

Mark

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
You need to concentrate on your timing and technique. Take 2 of the 4 blocks out, and set the end float at the point where you can just feel movement. A 6oz lead will slow you down to concentrate on the technique. Don't try to put any power in, if you have a reasonable technique you should easily lob the lead over 100 yards. At this stage don't worry about the levelwind mechanism, it won't interfere while you are developing.
A session with a good instructor will save you many hours of frustrated thrashing, and can be one of the best things you ever choose to do.

philtherod

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks m8 its made an instant difference in free spool ,will post tomorrow with hopefully good results .

cheers m8

Mark

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If its exactly the same distance every time.Check on your line after you've cast to see if there's a knot in your line possibly stopping your cast the same place each cast therefore it goes the same distance each time :)
mtm

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was the brake blocks ,removed 2 of them and i am getting just over 130 yards now .i did go down to just using one brake block but i could see i was nearly starting to birds nest a few times so i will stick to 2 for now and anyway if i can get a bait out to 100 yards with a level wind that will do me fine .

micky i did look for knots but it wasn't that cheers all the same though .

forgot to say i went up to 6oz from 5 oz .
oh and i hit more or less the same spot 130-132 yards every cast so something is still holding me back .

cheers lads :notworthy

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts