World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i recently got some 9.7cm 12g rapala lures at a good price i was just wonderin how much the rod affects casting because, i was thinking about buying a new one after seeing how my old chunky rod only casted one of these lures about 14ft. is this ideal for a 12g lure or should i start lookin for a new rod thanks.

also i fish from a gulf which is pretty much shore fishing without big waves.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi,

Looks like you are using mono... If you are sticking with that then you will definately gain extra distance by filling the spool up to withing 2mm of the top.

If you are thinking about using braid then underfilling by about 5mm is the way to go.

That rod though.... although it's ok to start with a better rod will help for sure.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Ideally you want a lure or spinning rod suitable for casting the weight you are using...something designed for 10-30g or thereabouts would be good.

What is that rod...?

·
Registered
798 Posts
A nice wee tele, they're a bit limited for more serious fishin' tho.

I tend to use a shorter whippier rod for really light stuff.
Ugly stiks have a medium action which suits me.
The mike ladle surespin is 11ft and does from 10 to 60g.
Theres so many choices out there.

The best advice I can give you tho is to go into a tackle shop which has its rods on display, and waggle them aboot a bit.

Take your time and don't let anyone hurry you.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have the 11' SureSpin and I'm not sure how well it would fare with 10 or 12g...:g:

I've also got a Shimano Beastmaster 8/9' travel rod rated 15-40g - available for around £50 if you shop around and don't mind last years model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts