World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided that at 65 it was about time I learnt some casting technique to replace my lurching, spin, thrash that's taken 60years to perfect. So Holden's CD with the video clips and I printed out the 87 pages (!!!) of the book and I read it and looked at the piccies. The first clip (How not to is the way I did it before!!!) Notice the word DID, because its all changed!! I tried out a 13' 3" XS behind Malcs at Gallows point and it just flashed out!! (Suits me sir!) So off to a field near here that the council have designated 'playing fields' until they need it for housing but which is always empty - enough footy grounds around you see (Telford is a New Town and they have done us proud) So set up for a simple off the ground and a gentle turn and lob (as in the book) Out it went and I could feel the rod 'doing the work'!! Walked purposively towards the embedded lead taking full golfing strides and got to 97! So back to bottom of field this time and of course decided to try to swing the lead (Yes I know it's too soon and I need to practice the basics but hey ... new rod, green grass, noone about wayhey!! However unbekown to me and so obvious in hindsight I had wound in line very easily and not under strain. Yes the lead swung away and back in in response to my right hand (easy easy!) and away it went, reel singing until all those little loops tangled and CRACK OFF (a capital city in Eastern Europe) .

I pause, dear reader, to explain that everywhere in this field I had 'noticed' hoofmarks and little heaps of Dung! Yes I had not considerred the horrendous result of a galloping horse 'finding' my shock leader and 5oz lurking in the grass ("Thoro-ugho-bread breaks legs", "Rider crushes neck vertebrae first time out on her pony") I could hear the headlines. I had only a vauge idea where the errant lead'n'leader had gone (when it's happened fishing you hear a distant splash, followed by a nearby curse) Took me over half an hour to find it and it was fleuro orange!! I went home quickly to write this!

So, casters all, what should I have done? Presumably reel in under pressure for a start. Can you set up a list of things to check about the place (like no people or pets I would suspect. ( The only plus was the power of the rod. I could bend it and it straightened. Not half as much as in the hands of an expert but far enough with what little effort I can muster. BUT I'VE GOT TO PRACTICE SAFELY!

There is a lake nearby but I doubt the anglers would appreciate me chucking leads about!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
looking for a feild to cast in is not easy.........mite be worth finding the closest casting club the lads will give u a lot of help reading from a book is not as good as some one standing helping u.......... and wont cost a lot and there is a lot of help in finding those crakeoff

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
when not in need of measuring your casts, try using a "hockey practice" ball or dense-foam dog ball (the same size as a tennis ball but about 5 1/2 oz in weight) instead of a lead.

Advantages: won't bury itself , can be wound back (without you having to walk towards it) , slightly safer ; you can still feel and see if a cast was a good one
Disadvantages: can't cast as far (of course), looks a bit silly (but who cares?) ....and.... imagine what might happen if a frisky collie dog wanders into the field just as you "let fly" - he is bound to presume it is for his benefit and that'll be when your troubles are just beginning LOL !

supplementary: if you don't mind wearing out the drag on a multiplier reel (eventually) you can even cast with the reel in-gear and the drag set at near-minimum ... will only go 30 or 40 yards even with a fairly powerful cast (that would have gone 150-200+ with lead and in free-spool) . Not as satisfying as the rapidly-emptying spool, but lot less work retrieving

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
My mentor, Dennis Darkin, told me to make sure my feet were nailed to the ground!! Having been a Licensed Coach for the last 5 years, and seen how other athletic sports methods work, ensuring core stability was exactly the same. If you want to find out what he meant, try casting with one foot off the ground. It'll give a whole new meaning to "Off the Ground", I guarantee it!! Other little tips include trying to run before you can walk, there are many others. Having been a Casting Instructor for over a quarter of a century, and more recently a coach, I can tell you that an instructor can show you how, a speciaslist coach can also show why.
I hope you find what you need.

philtherod

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far. It has given me food for thought particularly the hockey ball idea. The casting against the drag is also an idea as it cuts down on the size of the 'field'. Otherwise the running before walking is there also I think. To be honest I havn't thought of looking for a Casting Club! I suppose it's because I have never thought of 'competition' but having a safe place already set up, and many pairs of eyes, is a distinct advantage! Mind you are there any in landlocked Shropshire!! More likely to be in Anglesey I suppose. As for keeping both feet on the ground ....!

However today my back is out would you believe. Can't think it was just the two casts!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts