World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When im casting should i put a lot of power into it,

Because after watching a guy next to me cast he hardly put any power into it yet went pretty far.

I have a Shakespeare beach caster power play and im wondering should i ad strength or let the flex of the rod push it out?

Any tips on casting will be grateful.

N-E-A:D

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Its the technique that gets the distance mate,if you start trying to put loads of power in [especially at the wrong time] you will find you have a lot more problems.Best advice I can give is find a good local caster or casting instructor and have a few lessons-the improvement will come much faster than trying to learn from books etc.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
what sean said

make the swing nice and smooth, come round very slow then apply the power in the last split second.
as sean says get hold of a instructor to point u in the right direction

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its the technique that gets the distance mate,if you start trying to put loads of power in [especially at the wrong time] you will find you have a lot more problems.Best advice I can give is find a good local caster or casting instructor and have a few lessons-the improvement will come much faster than trying to learn from books etc.
what sean said

make the swing nice and smooth, come round very slow then apply the power in the last split second.
as sean says get hold of a instructor to point u in the right direction

Thanks for the advice lads ill try it out some time soon.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you have access to a camcorder you could try doing what Macky does and film yourself,then you can see what you are doing during the cast and it can help to highlight any faults you might have.

·
Registered
424 Posts
When im casting should i put a lot of power into it,

Because after watching a guy next to me cast he hardly put any power into it yet went pretty far.

I have a Shakespeare beach caster power play and im wondering should i ad strength or let the flex of the rod push it out?

Any tips on casting will be grateful.

Never, ever put more power into a cast than you can truly manage. If it is your technique that is holding you back then putting in more power will only result in disaster.

Visit this site for lots of good casting advice plus a video clip of Terry Carroll demonstrating the 'Brighton' casting style. It doesn't appear as if he's putting a tremendous amount of power into the cast but the lead goes a long way.

http://www.johnholden.co.uk/

Cheers,

John

P.S. I've just visited the NEF site - it's excellent, thanks for the link!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts