World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've just registered after recently getting into sea fishing. I was practising my casting yesterday (off the ground and pendulum) using a Daiwa Emblem 5000 and an Abu Beachcaster. I found that about 5 times out of 10 the bail arm would flick over during the cast resulting in a crack-off. I wasn't really thumping it either, just trying to get a smooth technique going. Does anyone know what was causing this?, is it the reel, my technique, or something else?! Hope you can help! Tricky :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi,im new to this myself and i use a fixed spool.when i cast i make sure the bail arm goes to the right lookingdown on it with rod in hand so as the line goes nowhere near it.i use a daiwa emcast 5500 and never had it close on me.

hope this helps a bit

·
Registered
992 Posts
I recall this happening to my mate Bill quite often until he had a serious "Basil Fawlty" moment with the reel and a pair of pliers. After a few seconds of frantic activity and copious "I've had it with you" quotes he ended up with a reel with only the line roller part of the bail arm left. He just puts the line under the roller after casting to tension up and reel in etc and takes it out from under the roller to cast. No more infuriating crack offs :D

·
Registered
158 Posts
i think i read somewhere on this site something about a rubber band with a piece of hooked wire attatched to it then put onto the reel seat so you can hook the bail arm to stop it snapping. i've found the bail arm on the right trick works myself personally.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Apart from the rather ingenious (but drastic) measures to correct this. Isn't this possibly a malfunction in the bail arm lock.

If this is a fairly new reel - could you take it back for a new one.

I use multipliers mostly, but have never experienced this with the fixed spools reels I have used.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I've had the reel a little while, but the spring in the bail arm is 'well sprung' and it doesn't close when I shake the rod around. It could be a design fault maybe. I remember hearing a similar thing happening to the carp angler Frank Warwick and it ripped his nail off (nice!). I'll give it a go wiht the bail arm repositioned and see how I get on. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
i use the emblems for both sea fishing and carp fishing and ive never had one snap shut. if your casting technique is not smooth, (pendulum especially) the jolting could snap it shut. have you WD40'd your reel at all? WD40 is a much lighter oil than the grease that the manufacturer would use, this may cause it. you could try replacing the oil in the hinges with thicker grease, or if the bail arm is positioned so that the roller is resting on the reel leg when opened, (once you see it you will know what i mean,) that can cause a snap off. if your practicing constantly, than you can get tired, so your casting can get ragged without you noticing, this will cause you to be less smooth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi All

bit of a drastic solution to this is to cut the bail are off and have it as a finger pick up. Shitmano Aerolex used to have two models I as a finger pick up and one as a full bail arm. If you want me to show u what it looks like mail me and I will take a photo of one of my aerolexs's and mail it to you.

I have started tournement casting with reels that have a full bail arm and have not had it shut on me whilst casting on the field but have had it happen to me ones or twice on the beach.as someone has suggested if it is a new reel would have this taken back incase there is a fualt.

on the suggestion about going to a casting instructer it might be better to attend the casting tournements.

Hope this helps

Paul

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dunno if this will help, but when I first got my Okuma Axeon fixed spool reel I had a couple of crack offs when the bail arm closed prematurely, was about to remove most of the bail arm as mentioned above. Next time I was out I made sure that when I folded back the bail arm to cast that the spoll was revolved all the way back, to the right. This seemed to lock the spool and stop and movement and I havent had a crack off since. Hope this helps.
Penn

·
Registered
21 Posts
do your self a faver and get a mutiplier i fished with fixed spool for 2 years and i had to relay put alot of work to get near the 100 yard mark i fished with a mutipler yesterday and fell in love with it. 100 yards no problem im telling you get one now m8 you wount regret it i spent £150 on a new rod and mutiplier to day and you can pick up a not bad rod and mutiplier for £50 shakespeare have one thats not bad or if you have a m8 that fishes with one ask him if you can have a go your a fool if you dont

1 - 11 of 11 Posts