World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New guy to surf fishing.. I have been doing lakes/reservoirs lately (SF Bay Area).
I want to give surf fishing a try.. for casting techniques, can I cast and reel? or should I let the pole's sit normally?
I'm asking because I enjoy the casting/reeling/moving etc. If there's such a technique, is there a specific bait that I should be using?

Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hi

You may not have replies because your question does not make too much sense, you may want to rephrase your question. "Can I cast and reel"? You need to do both as in any fishing style other than maybe fly fishing which I know nothing about. "should I let the pole sit normally"? What is normally, what is an abnormal way to sit a pole. Surf fishing we use a Rod stand, and often use two rods. In summer mainly Id stand in the surf waiting to strike a Bass with another rod on a stand I don't normally hear people refer to a fishing rod as a pole, to me that's pole fishing.

The bait question should be asked in another forum, but bait is relative to your location, and target species. Lugworm, is commonly used, Ragworm in some areas. Sand Ell, Squid, Mackeral, Peeler crab are used in different areas. This time of year Whiting and Codling are found so Lug is more common.

In general casting for Shore fishing, you can use many styles. Easy cast or Brighton cast. Off the Ground, and like many still use an over the head thump like in carp fishing. Then you got more advanced cast like a Pendulum cast.

Dan

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Think he means spinning/feathering,

Is that San Francisco bay..?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe you mean what I refer to as hunting: staying on the move (no rod holders or chairs). I’d say when casting baits, give a spot around 15 minutes and then move on. Learn to look for signs of underwater structure that attract fish and target them. And holding the rod while you’re waiting is great for feeling (not staring endlessly at the rod tip) species that grab your bait and calmly swim towards the beach, as they’ll never set off your reel’s clicker.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Maybe you mean what I refer to as hunting: staying on the move (no rod holders or chairs). I’d say when casting baits, give a spot around 15 minutes and then move on. Learn to look for signs of underwater structure that attract fish and target them. And holding the rod while you’re waiting is great for feeling (not staring endlessly at the rod tip) species that grab your bait and calmly swim towards the beach, as they’ll never set off your reel’s clicker.
Sounds to me as you want to be roving angler like surf fishing for bass casting out and reeling in quite often if ive read you right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts