World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently bought a Grauvell Zeus Z5000 for use at certain times from the shore the thinking being that the faster retrieve of a fixed spool would be advantageous.

How do you guys and gals cast with these things? I can't get the hang of it makes the rod seem unbalanced.

I can cast with multipliers reel down no problem at all put the Zeus on and it seems all wrong I've tried it up the butt down the butt and it seems totally alien.

I'm well used to fs reels I use them for river fishing and carp fishing all the time but on a beachcaster no way.

Any pointers?

Dave

·
Banned
3,248 Posts
think you will find anyone who use a multiplier will say the same, the new ABUs have high retrieve ratios if you fit a small handle that you can rotate faster that speeds it up even more. power handles are ok but you cant rotate them fast enough, add an inch in length to the handle and you hand has to rotate another 9" for the same amount of line back on the spool.

·
Registered
363 Posts
there is no reel tips for casting fixedspool in the relation to reel position i prefer reel up like you would use a coarse rod, but a lot prefer reel down, make sure the clutch is done up tight, use the smallest number of turns of leader you can get away with 4 is spot on

and just use your fore finger to grip the line before casting, they work fine at all distances after you get use to them

and they can match multipliers in certain circumstances

·
Registered
92 Posts
there is no reel tips for casting fixedspool in the relation to reel position i prefer reel up like you would use a coarse rod, but a lot prefer reel down, make sure the clutch is done up tight, use the smallest number of turns of leader you can get away with 4 is spot on

and just use your fore finger to grip the line before casting, they work fine at all distances after you get use to them

and they can match multipliers in certain circumstances
I agree with Tel on this un, we cast em just the way they should be ,minimum turns of leader, i go for 6 , chopping bails arms off ( sinfull) is just about all y can do with them.
finger protection is a must or goodbye digit..lol

Shimano are the best

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's a birdsnest you mean those things you find in hedges.

Seriously though the rod seems to be unbalanced by the size of the reel and seems unbalanced.

Will keep trying though as the retrieve is way quicker than my Abu's and Penn and the Abu's are 6.3:1.

Was hoping to use this with my CM BB but that combination seems like a right turd at the moment really should be great.

Never mind guys I'll give it a fair crack of the whip as it feels like a really nice reel.

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My Century BB didn't feel right with a fixed spool so I went back to using it low reel with a multiplier. With the fixed spool it just felt clumsy and stiffer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
You say that the rod feels stiffer and clumsy:

If you are using the rod whilst still ringed for multi reel this is only to be expected.

The ring spacing and spine location are totally different on most rods for fixed spool use.

A multi rod for reel down use may well have 8 rings plus tip ring, whilst a F/S rod may have as few as 4 very large rings plus tip ring.

Also hand spacing will be slightly altered when just fitting a F/S reel to a rod normally used for multi use whether up or down reel. Possibly as much as 4 inches wider.

It is worth the effort to sort these things out as there is nothing worse than spending time regretting a purchase.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i really havent found much of a problem hand spacing the same, rod the same just rung with fixedspool eyes, casting technique the same etc etc

think you just have to get out and get used to it

·
Registered
557 Posts
I should have made myself clearer about the hand spacing.

If the multi rod has an already high fixed position reel seat this when used for F/S reel with the lower hand grasping the end of the rod may be a wider spacing by up to as much as 4 inches dependant on the size of the hand.

A lot of words to explain a simple thing. I'm just lazy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I should have made myself clearer about the hand spacing.

If the multi rod has an already high fixed position reel seat this when used for F/S reel with the lower hand grasping the end of the rod may be a wider spacing by up to as much as 4 inches dependant on the size of the hand.

A lot of words to explain a simple thing. I'm just lazy.
Setting up hand spacing is pretty easy,basically shove the the butt cap into the armpit ,with the reel fitted arm (left or right handed) fully extended and set your index finger into the recess on the reel.

I prefer a slightly longer gate ,approx 3 inches for a tad more leverage

As for Power casting with a multiplier rung rod with a fixed spool ,I would,nt recommend it , as the rings are on the wrong side of the spine of rod, but for general overhead thumping for fishing there should,nt be an issue.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Ehrn fishing with F/S you can get away with 4-6 turns of shockleader when casting. If at a tournament then keep within what ever rules you are casting to.

There are some great reels out there from Daiwa & Shimano - I cast either high or low reel depending upon how I feel at the time.

My only issue is the sheer excess weight of the reel - with most coming in at over 20oz (without line) an engineer really needs to look at ways of making them lighter - I know that the Shimano Technium 10000mgs is only 16oz, but it makes the bank balance 400lbs lighter :eek:hmy::eek:hmy:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Will there come a time when f/s reels are the norm on the casting circuit?
I mean how much further can multipliers be developed, there are already mags, turbo mags only one left is turbo injection mag. But is there scope for further development of the f/s (and associated rods) ie decreased weight, spool shape/dimensions/materials used.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
There certainly is.

Compare two similar sized Shimano's
Aero Technium 10000 - 620gms,
Aero Technium 1000 MGs - 495gms.

To save 125gms from a reel is a lot that's almost 25%, I'm sure if the powers that be looked into it further they could shave another 75gms then the comaprative weigths would be a lot closer. :nerd:

I think it is the sheer cost that holds them back :rtfm:

What I have noticed is how much much relaxed casting a F/S is compared to a multiplier. :clap:

We can only hope :help:

·
Registered
557 Posts
It might be that weight reduction would lower the durability of such reels as well as adding to the already extortionate cost.:nono:

For most anglers this would be a risk not worth taking and a manufacturer unwilling to give an unconditional guarantee.:fishing:

As for the hard core of casters unless someone makes real inroads and records like for like distances with multi reels. It will just be a few of us who prefer to cast than pick out birdies who are left alone to play with them.:thumbs:

Argentine reels rule:clap:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Tel - which ISO model ?

Dave - As 99% of the are made from plastic and the gears are either brass or an alloy we aren't looking at high end engineering. Agreed that the existing costs are too much now.
I have already shaved a few oz's from my Penn Surfmaster to make it noticeably lighter. I also agree that durability would becoem less, however if either Daiwa or Shimano utilised better designs then that would cover that area.
Guarantee - have you actually read what it covers :spiteful: it's like everything now a days - it covers the company and not the user.

Can't quite work out why on earth we need reels that will hold 300m of 30lb mono for our UK shores :roll1:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts