World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have a 12ft Daiwa HPB rod which I brought new some years ago and has been regularly used and was just wondering if I could pendulum cast with the reducer in place as an extension to make the rod longer or is it designed to only be used when retrieving with a low reel and therefor likely to split the blank if used when casting?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hi all.
I have a 12ft Daiwa HPB rod which I brought new some years ago and has been regularly used and was just wondering if I could pendulum cast with the reducer in place as an extension to make the rod longer or is it designed to only be used when retrieving with a low reel and therefor likely to split the blank if used when casting?
That is exactly why reducers came about - to cast off. In years gone by when butts were alot thicker than todays rods it was hard to grip the reel properly. Then some bright spark shoved an extra piece of carbon in the end of the butt to "reduce" the thickness of the butt where the reel sits.

As long as you have a pukka carbon reducer it should, in principle be ok to cast off. Im not familar with the rod so I cant be 100% sure. I also put a couple of coasters at the end of the butt just add a bit of extra strenght.

·
Registered
864 Posts
That is exactly why reducers came about - to cast off. In years gone by when butts were alot thicker than todays rods it was hard to grip the reel properly. Then some bright spark shoved an extra piece of carbon in the end of the butt to "reduce" the thickness of the butt where the reel sits.

As long as you have a pukka carbon reducer it should, in principle be ok to cast off. Im not familar with the rod so I cant be 100% sure. I also put a couple of coasters at the end of the butt just add a bit of extra strenght.
with a coaster on the end of the butt it should be ok but don't think the ends are reinforced like many zippies SO def use the coaster mate:clap2:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the reel up the rod- should have mentioned that. I was wondering if the reducer is say 14" long, could I move the reel 14" down and effectively extend the rod by that amount? I suspect by the comments above probably not.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use the reel up the rod- should have mentioned that. I was wondering if the reducer is say 14" long, could I move the reel 14" down and effectively extend the rod by that amount? I suspect by the comments above probably not.
No you will split it

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
i always thought a reducer was to REDUCE the pressure when winding in while the reel was in the low position nothing to do with casting off it even though casters do it these days.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No you will split it
Thats what I thought. It was just that I had bought another rod in the same range- the match version which is 13ft and can cast both 170m on a field but its a bugger casting one after the other and timing the casts- I was wondering if I may be able to make them both approx 13ft.
Looks like I need to get either another 12 or 13ft to pair up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts