World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to the sandy beach side of Broughty Ferry Castle at 23:00hrs, fished until high water (03:00). Very quiet, tried casting far out and close in, at about 1 hour before high water I got a good hard bite on my v. light weight spinning rod (which was bait fished with a 1.5 oz. weight). Took a good 5-8 mins to bring in a very healthy sea trout to 2lb :D . Almost immediately after my big rod went with another sea trout to just over 1lb :D . No more bites after that, so it was time for bed. Better result than last time though! :)

Weather: Mostly clear sky, nearly new moon, fresh breeze from WNW.
Bait: Fresh and salted herring fillets.
Rig: 2 & 3 hook paternoster (flapper)
Fish caught 2

Attachments

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
well done m8 glad the trout are still about.
i never seen anyone fish that place before.
glad you got a couple.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sultz,

Thanks bud, its not a bad spot, but only really on a rising tide. Used to catch rock codling up to 2lbs from the East side of the casle rock on rag too.

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
captain chaos...

Firstly welcome to the site and forum mate, I hope you will find it as enjoyable and useful as I have since joining. :)

I have heard the same about balmerino but haven't managed over yet. I have been as far up as Wormit bay (west end) and its been touch and go there. That however has probably been down to my inexperience rather than no fish!! :eek:

I'd like to think there is a possibility of getting up that way at the weekend wot with it being an evening high tide.

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
captain chaos said:
Alright, has anyone been across to balmarino this year yet? heard that it's fishing well for the sea trout?

hi captain chaos i have been to balmerino a few times this year with sea trout caught on every visit nearly ,until the last month or so as the runs slow in summer time or so i have found i always thought trout ran all year , try the bay at bottom of balmerino abbey and fish where the fresh water burn runs into tay . but for me wormit bay is the best sea trout mark at waste water pipe not sewage pipe on rocks ,its a small black pipe i think its about 20yrds from start of bay had my best fish from there . hope this helps let me know how you get on . :D

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
sea trout
run all year in the tay but fewer numbers during the summer.
but you need to freeze your bacside of during the winter for the best run

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the welcome and the tip for wormit. went to riverside thursday nigt for a couple of hours. nothing doing, just some flounders. went over to balmarino on friday for 3 hours in the afternoon. one trout, small sbout half a pound. will be trying the landfill at invergowrie this week. have had good fish there before, best 4 on one outing, not bad for this side of the water. if you like fishing for flounders you get some big ones there as well, last year got one over 2 pounds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi captain chaos,

How do you get to the lanfill and where about do you fish from? Ive had a look but i couldn't see a way through to the shoreline. :eek:

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
balmerino has it days but it is a overrated venue by locals.

you might get access by invergowrie or through dump
to get there

·
Registered
10 Posts
hope you can follow this. your best leaving your car in invergowrie, theres a car park just across from the sewage plant. go down the path next to the plant and up onto the path along the motorway over the railway line. theres a path thats been closed off, but only small fence so its easy to cross (you can see were the grounds been worn with people going over it. theres a worn path that you follow till you get to a dirt road. follow this until you see parts of an old airoplane. this is the start of were to fish. i fish from just after her right up to were the airport fence starts. have caught fish the whole way along. best time for flounders is about four hours before high tide depending on hight of tide or when water is just starting to touch the stones coming off the mud. at this time can be catching 3 every 5 min or so for about an hour. one final thing, if you are down there when water is still out, look for where the big pool is forming ahead of the incoming water. this is were i usually fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts