World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all just back from lochaline at the weekend got up there at midnight on the friday night missed the last ferry at connan had to take the long way round me and fishing buddy dave fished the old wooden peir for about 5hrs i had 5 dogs and a small whiting next day fished ardtornish bay for 4 hours me and dave had 7 dogfish between us then it was back to the peir for the night never had a bite then just as darkness came dave pulled up a 4lbs conger followed by 3 lbs thorny then a dogfish as not like the night be4 my bait was not good enough for them i went to sleep at 4am dave fished on for a bit had another thorny to 2lbs on the way home on the sunday we stoped off at ballachulish fish at the glencoe hotel i had another dogfish then it was off back to dundee bait mack and squid

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi codhunter...

I bet you had an excellent weekend with the weather too...

Knowing as little as I do about fishing the West Coast, was your result a goodun by your standards?? By mine it was coz you caught something!! Just interested to know as I have never fished for doggies or conger or rays etc. Are they good sport? Do you have to use wire traces for the teeth and how do you go about the bait and rig question (hook size etc)?

Cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi shad the weather was great that was a good catch here the pier fishes better in july i no expert on the west coast i use a two hook flaper with 3or4/0 hooks 60lbs hook lenghs u can get two diff baits down there sport is good its a long hall up from the bottom at lochaline about 300 feet lochaline area is the best i came across so far i no great fan of loch etive to many blanks up there baits are mack and squid u could also try peeler i had all my thornys on that if hope that helps shad codhunter

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi codhunter,

Thanks for that, 300 feet you say - :eek: bloody hell, your arms must get tired winding!!! :D :D

cheers,

Shad.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Codhunter

How far out from the Lochaline pier did you cast? Or did you just lob and let the water depth do the rest?

Thanks in advance and regards

·
Registered
36 Posts
lewistish
when me and the codhunter were at peir most of time we put out baits as far as we could but with 300 metres of water the strong tidal currents they always ended up in same place . depending on current direction i thought that when bait was at the right outer point thats when thomas had his dogfish and i had the ones we were lookin for the conger and rays (the conger was back bustin for a 4 pounder what would a larger one be like , hope to find out on next trip up there soon but we missed out on the other one the spurdog . not a fan of etive either but we were up there in may day maybe a bit early codhunter reckons july at etive will be were we catch our spur from but i think lochaline would be crazy in july too.
p.s watch out for a bit left from the middle as you face out to loch from peir tackle graveyard.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lewisteh said:
Codhunter

How far out from the Lochaline pier did you cast? Or did you just lob and let the water depth do the rest?

Thanks in advance and regards
hi lewisteh the fish will be all all ranges we had all our fish on the incoming tide a 8oz weight would not go a miss the rocks 20 yards to the right hold a lot of conger i heard there is a old wreck down there bit snaggie the good thing about lochaline it dose not get over fished its a bit off the beating track hope this helps codhunter

·
Registered
75 Posts
eh up lads,
sounds like i'll be giving etive and lochaline a go, but have you ever tried loch sunart? great for spurs, congers and wee skate etc... the uncle and myself go up there regularly and hire a wee boat out, fish off that all day then fish the shore at night when we're camped up!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi doors where do u fish up at loch sunnert from the shore have u had any good catches up there we stoped there for a few casts could not find any depth then moved on where do u fish from the shore how much is boat hire codhunter

·
Registered
75 Posts
hiya codhunter,
We hire the boats out of laga bay for roughly 70 for the full day and it really is the full day! we pick them up usually at 8 in the morning and don't come back in till just before dark! the couple that own them are andy and anne jackson and the boats themselves are wee orkney's with 8 horses on the back! ideal..
As for the camping and shore fishing bit, further west is glenborodale and there's a pub there that has gardens all the way down to the sea! we spent a few quid in the bar at night and they happily let us camp there!there's some big rocks and a jetty at the bottom of the garden and we usually fish off of them! been good so far!
andy and anne have a larger charter boat as well if that takes your fancy and can also provide accomodation if needs be!
i've got the number written down somewhere and as soon as i find it i'll post it on here for you... have fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
nice one spanner,
i was kicking myself cos i couldn't find the number anywhere and didn't realise there was a website!! cheers for addin that!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the info doors i might be up there in the to give it a try i be up at lochaline in july some time many thanks codhunter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts