World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FishyMenace Learns 3 Lessons - Catch Report this morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first lesson I have learn't is not to take apart things that you don't know how to put back together, especially when you want to use it the following morning.... One reel dead.

I started at about 4 this morning for a quick lure bashing sesh... fished until 7.

I took my ultra light kit, Maria Chase BW, Feed Shallow, Patchinko, Yo-Zuri IMA copy... plus yo-zuri mag popper

Not a lot happened while it was still dark but just as the sun was coming up the sea became alive. High tide coincided with dawn almost to the minute...

Bass topping left right and centre, tried all the lures I had, patchinko lsat, which was the only lure to get solid takes, the mag popper had a couple but nothing landed.

Anyway, started catching fishes and ended up with 8... sized in the 25 - 35cm bracket and one over 45ish which I didn't get a picture of owing to a mixture of me reaching for my phone/camera, a freak wave and the tenacity of the bass in question....

05:30am Lesson two - Set drag before you start fishing, I lost a better fish because I didn't have the drag set or backwind on.... Fishy powers off unhooks itself...

05:32am Lesson three - (Another, poss the same fish on) Don't lose pressure on the fishy after a big run, it will spit the hook...

Got pix of first 4 fish landed attached.... After the camera/wave/tenacity incident I didn't bother with anymore pix... I would've done for a double but it wasn't to be...

·
Registered
8,448 Posts
educatiomal and entertaining? cant knock it mate. nice report. no chance up here, its lashing it down, again.:thumbdown

·
Registered
466 Posts
Nice report. All important lessons - not setting the drag has lost me a good fish too. But my biggest lesson this year was learned at the weekend. When you are still half asleep watch what you do with the boot lid. My Tenryu is now 8ft 10. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice report. All important lessons - not setting the drag has lost me a good fish too. But my biggest lesson this year was learned at the weekend. When you are still half asleep watch what you do with the boot. My Tenryu is now 8ft 10. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
OUCH!!!! Can you saw off the fragments and stick on another top eye? Not the same I know but....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Fortunatley the rod tip gets a little wider just before it goes into the eye so a quick visit to reels n deals in Weymouth, a bit of glue and I was out fishing again. Lost a little feeling in the tip but got 8 off the top so made me feel a little better.

Think I may still claim on insurance and put my rod back in the tube during short car jounrneys in the future.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice report rob,,,

great to catch off the top well done

Graham
Cheers Graham, nothing like seeing a bass come charging over from 20ft away and smashing the lure!

One thing I forgot to add with my report though, at least three times as many fish landed hit the Patch but no hook up? Has anyone else had experience of this?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Cheers Graham, nothing like seeing a bass come charging over from 20ft away and smashing the lure!

One thing I forgot to add with my report though, at least three times as many fish landed hit the Patch but no hook up? Has anyone else had experience of this?
the patchenko is a too big for smaller fish and makes too much noise,,scale down to the frosty or the IMA popkey and slow it up a little

Gee

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

the patchenko is a too big at times for smaller fish and makes too much noise,,scale down to the frosty or the IMA popkey and slow it up a little,,

Gee

·
Registered
848 Posts
Great report - nice work. All three of those lessons are ones I have learned the hard way as well. Mistakes made just the once though....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts