World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today i fished with my old man at Steetly. By all accounts it was a very productive day and a good few fish were caught. Although mainly all small to medium sized fish it was an enjoyable day. We fished the top end along the railings from 11:00 to 16:00 and collected dab althroughout the tide with a lull in sport over the slack water period, with high tide being at 13:22. The bait for the session was ragworm, tipped with either mackerel, herring or squid. The state of the ragworm was absolutely appaling and others on the pier were complaining about the state of bait in the Hartlepool area over recent weeks. I opted to fish two rods, a bass rod for the flatties with a two hook flapper and a clipped down pennel rig with mackerel and bigger worm baits hopefully to pick up a plaice or a doggy even! The old man fished just a singel rod with a two hook flapper rig, this time his had beads and sequins on the snoods in hope of attracting a plaice.

From the first cast it was all action with dabs coming regularly up until 15 minutes before high water. no double shots, but plenty of bites and fishing two rods was hard work as i was kept busy rebaiting.

My old man took the first dab of the session after his baits were in 3 minutes. A small fish, but a good start.

Fishing two rods was busy work. A bass rod with a baitrunner reel gave better sport for the dab, but the Century Tip Tornado lite was cast out with bigger baits in hope of finding a plaice, dogfish, turbot or even a rogue thornback.

Many dab came intially up untill slack water.

About midday the Coastgaurd helicopter flew over head.

Fifteen minutes passed without a bite after high water, but them as the tide turned the fishing improved. Again just small dabs though but still good sport.

Some of these fish were very dark in colour and had different markings and lateral line to what dabs normally have. I was wondering if indeed these fish are, as a few fish were debatable being more like flounder in appearance but rough to touch.

The old man managed to catch a small edible crab, a few more were hooked but let go mid water. A shame this one was not big enough for the pot.

A disgorger is a good idea for unhooking dabs, especially when using smaller hooks such as the size 2 or 4 hooks we were using today.

The only other specie caught was a small three bearded rockling. I caught this on the old mans rod while he was talking to another angler on the pier!

All in all a decent days fishing. We lost count of the total number of fish caught, but the old man won the day with over 20 dab, i had around 15 dabs and a rockling, although managed a few better dabs on the clipped down rig. All fish were returned safely, and it was another successful trip.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Cracking report:notworthy looks like plenty of action and good fun had by all.:)

Steetley can be paved with dabs at times and :secret: one of my favourite baits for them is a small strip of herring that has been descaled, they love it.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it was a decent day really. The bait was garbage though, and if i had not caught i would have been raging about it selling dead ragworm for £3.50 a score is not on in my opinion. I saw some other WSF fishing members, i think Bob C was one of them. I will be out tomorrow again, hopefully i can manage a rariety like a doggy, turbot or thornback. I tried with a second rod today, but dab kept on taking the bigger fish baits on a pennel rig.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did have herring today, but failed to catch on plain herring even though i tried. Caught a few dab and the rockling on just a single squid tentacle though which is an excellent bait for small fish at times.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Good report mate ive been cleaning me freezer out today ready for all new bait to be stocked in it so im going to have a few hours down horden tomorrow 2 rods TT SPORT with big baits for chance of a thorney and me century bass for the plaice and coalies see whats about baits i'll be using is frozen blacks,herring,peeler,squid and mackrel.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aye i was thinking about getting a Bze, i think its very similar to the T/T Lite though. TBH for £50 the Shakey Odessa Bass tkaes some beating. Today the sea had a bit on it as the easertly winds picked up, if it flattens off tomorrow i was thinking of using my Nash Hooligun 2.25lb t.c. carp rod for the flatties, coupled with a Daiwa or shimano baitrunner. Theres fish at Steetly though and i know more about it than at Horden. I am tempted to go back there or perhaps try Parton for a few school bass or off the end of the Heugh.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Should have flatties at end of the heugh and chance of a stray bass i only know of couple been caught the i would near the brus tunnel never fished but seen plenty of people there when fishing steetley.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aye the Brus could be a good shout, its a bit of a walk though. I was thinking that Staincliffe would be good as anywhere fr the bass. The easerly has but a bit of a swell on it and i heard reports of a few bass from that area on sandeel, saying that the North Gare can be ok for schoolies so that might be a good shout aswell. It seems you cant really fall off at the moment as all marks are chucking up a few fish. I just keep thinking it would be nice to get a turbot, thornie or a doggy from the northeast though. Anyway i will be out somewhere tomorrow and will have the camera with me so lets see what happens.

G

·
Good report mate ive been cleaning me freezer out today ready for all new bait to be stocked in it so im going to have a few hours down horden tomorrow 2 rods TT SPORT with big baits for chance of a thorney and me century bass for the plaice and coalies see whats about baits i'll be using is frozen blacks,herring,peeler,squid and mackrel.

paul i wouldnt go down horden we fished it today 3hours crabed off every cast :uhuh: never even got a bite and they were taking fresh crab off aswell. :g:
we are off to the river some were tomorrow.

·
Registered
637 Posts
excellent report mate the staincliffe looked perfect for a bass today, i might have a bash tommorow myself. the friarage has been selling very good worm, at least it was last weekend

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Yes it was me next to you and your Dad on the end. Another face to the name. Good to meet you both.

Yeah it was a decent day really. The bait was garbage though, and if i had not caught i would have been raging about it selling dead ragworm for £3.50 a score is not on in my opinion. I saw some other WSF fishing members, i think Bob C was one of them. I will be out tomorrow again, hopefully i can manage a rariety like a doggy, turbot or thornback. I tried with a second rod today, but dab kept on taking the bigger fish baits on a pennel rig.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A pleasure to meet you Bob, i have seen you there before and it was nice to meet a WSF member. I am sure i will know others it is just putting names to faces.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Aye i was thinking about getting a Bze, i think its very similar to the T/T Lite though. TBH for £50 the Shakey Odessa Bass tkaes some beating. Today the sea had a bit on it as the easertly winds picked up, if it flattens off tomorrow i was thinking of using my Nash Hooligun 2.25lb t.c. carp rod for the flatties, coupled with a Daiwa or shimano baitrunner. Theres fish at Steetly though and i know more about it than at Horden. I am tempted to go back there or perhaps try Parton for a few school bass or off the end of the Heugh.

Nice report there.
Greys bze are great rods, I bought the 3-5oz one last year, it will easily chuck out 5oz of lead with bait, without looking like its under pressure. Great bite detection aswell. Don't know if you can get much discount on em though.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope you and Gregg manage to catch a few spurdogs and thornies. Remeber to fish heavy traces and to add some large lumi beads or a starlight above your bait.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i agree paul mate nice little rod ok for a few different species,been doing a bit flatty bashing lately on mine up the river ,maybe ok for floating and a bit spinning too ,and it does the job for me

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Hope you and Gregg manage to catch a few spurdogs and thornies. Remeber to fish heavy traces and to add some large lumi beads or a starlight above your bait.

yes mate just got some 35lb wire trace that should be fine plus i use small lumi beads with 2 x 16.5mm glowing giberts on aswell should do the trick

i agree paul mate nice little rod ok for a few different species,been doing a bit flatty bashing lately on mine up the river ,maybe ok for floating and a bit spinning too ,and it does the job for me

they are fantastic for floating coddy use mine all the time during summer up the mull plus there great for pollocking ledgering and deep spinning with sliding lead and sandeel or jellyworms

1 - 20 of 22 Posts