World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry Ticketty Boo.. I've given myself a spanking and promised to post more catch reports.. Like most folk on here I do enjoy reading them so here's my tuppence worth for last week.

Currently a lot of my trips are short ones (holiday makers) so I've not had much chance to get to the better marks recently.

Out of 10 trips last week, we been scratching a bit. mackerel seem in short supply, with my 1st 2 trips of the week just producing 2 mackies each. However we managed one reasonable Ling in those 1st 2 trips with several small one being returned. No codling.

In June there were sandeels everywhere and the kids could not help but catch mackerel. However in late july and early aug, they seemed to disappear, along with the mackies... possibly something to do with the 24/7 trawling for squid. At one stage I counted 11 trawlers in a staggered line astern, the closest to the shore was probably just around 1/2 mile out!

On one trip I had a German family. Took them up to troup head to look at the gannets and then they wanted to have a little fish. Dad had bought his own tackle and proceeded to pull out the biggest multplier that I had ever seen (I've fished for billfish in Kenya and Marutius, so have seen some big reels!!). We went to a new mark I'd been given in around 140ft.. it was teeming with life - quite why I don't know , no obvious features on the sounder - he attached a string of 7 feathers and dropped down - he came back up with haddock and whiting on each drop. Not my favourite chap of the week as he was using barbed hooks and he caught a fair few small ones - impossible to return - after 3 drops I suggested he might like to change rigs.

I tried this mark again later in the week and again found it heaving with fish. This time I rigged my guest up with a big lead head and jelly figuring that where small fish are, biggers ones might be lurking. Nothing, although when I sent down a single lure on a flowing trace I connected with small whiting again... Hmm.. next time I might try a whiting style sidewinder lure there.. Seems strange .. 2 visits and both times the mark showed loads of life.. must be something better there.

My favourite fishing moment of the week came from a 7 year old boy... I had taken him and his mum/dad/ brother and sister on a mixed cruise & fish. Having seen Pennan, dad said okay lets do a little fishing.. This little man caught mack, after mack while his siblings caught nothing. I decided that he should swap rods with his elder brother (different rig) to give him a chance (the little girl was a bit too small for the rod - but she did end up getting a couple of mackies.... just in case you think I was being sexist). His brother dropped down and, bang, got a solitary mackerel.. then almost at the same time, this little lad's rod bent over....., "It's not the rig then, is it?" he said to me as he hauled 3 mackerel on board.... I had to smile .... such wise words from one so young!

Best fish of the week was caught by a complete beginner. There was no wind and almost no tide...we were drifting but almost stationary (speed 0.1kt over the ground) and I was beginning to worry about blanking on a 2 hr trip. They had managed to get some mackerel and small codling (returned) and I used one mackie for bait... and then one chap got a 6.5lb ling... not going to break records... but a nice fish to take home for supper.

Next week, aside from the usual holiday trips, I've got a couple of Aussies on a full day out... so hopefully we will get some decent cod.... I'll report back then
Rob

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
nice report mate,well done,your clients must have a few good words to say about the trips,unlucky on the lack of fish,but well,seems to be a good day out.
regards
tony

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great report.... So there are fish between Banff and Fraserburgh! Its probably just that I cant catch anything from the shore. I'm another who never puts up posts..but will need to start.

·
Turbot Magnet
1,858 Posts
Great report.... So there are fish between Banff and Fraserburgh! Its probably just that I cant catch anything from the shore. I'm another who never puts up posts..but will need to start.
time to try the secret mark your dad told you :shutup: :shutup: :shutup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi rob good to hear from you again , i was out with you the end of june and the fishing was excellent, dont tell me i caught them all lol. Something needs to be done about those squid boats though an absolute joke so it is

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There certainly are fish around.... met a chap up near Gamrie (gardenstown to those not in the know) - 14ft dinghy with O/B and trolling a plug on a spinning rod very close in to the cliffs. "Any luck?" I asked, he held up a pollock which, if not double figure, was very close.... and he had another 3 like it on the boat :doh:

All very well getting a dinghy that close, but a 31ft / 6t boat with creel ropes in the water all around???? ... hmm I might have a go next time but the weather will have to be perfect.... light spinning rods & plugs i think and maybe a float with some dead bait .. just in case.

·
Sea Trout Fan
5,980 Posts
Sorry Ticketty Boo.. I've given myself a spanking and promised to post more catch reports.. Like most folk on here I do enjoy reading them so here's my tuppence worth for last week.

Currently a lot of my trips are short ones (holiday makers) so I've not had much chance to get to the better marks recently.

Out of 10 trips last week, we been scratching a bit. mackerel seem in short supply, with my 1st 2 trips of the week just producing 2 mackies each. However we managed one reasonable Ling in those 1st 2 trips with several small one being returned. No codling.

In June there were sandeels everywhere and the kids could not help but catch mackerel. However in late july and early aug, they seemed to disappear, along with the mackies... possibly something to do with the 24/7 trawling for squid. At one stage I counted 11 trawlers in a staggered line astern, the closest to the shore was probably just around 1/2 mile out!

On one trip I had a German family. Took them up to troup head to look at the gannets and then they wanted to have a little fish. Dad had bought his own tackle and proceeded to pull out the biggest multplier that I had ever seen (I've fished for billfish in Kenya and Marutius, so have seen some big reels!!). We went to a new mark I'd been given in around 140ft.. it was teeming with life - quite why I don't know , no obvious features on the sounder - he attached a string of 7 feathers and dropped down - he came back up with haddock and whiting on each drop. Not my favourite chap of the week as he was using barbed hooks and he caught a fair few small ones - impossible to return - after 3 drops I suggested he might like to change rigs.

I tried this mark again later in the week and again found it heaving with fish. This time I rigged my guest up with a big lead head and jelly figuring that where small fish are, biggers ones might be lurking. Nothing, although when I sent down a single lure on a flowing trace I connected with small whiting again... Hmm.. next time I might try a whiting style sidewinder lure there.. Seems strange .. 2 visits and both times the mark showed loads of life.. must be something better there.

My favourite fishing moment of the week came from a 7 year old boy... I had taken him and his mum/dad/ brother and sister on a mixed cruise & fish. Having seen Pennan, dad said okay lets do a little fishing.. This little man caught mack, after mack while his siblings caught nothing. I decided that he should swap rods with his elder brother (different rig) to give him a chance (the little girl was a bit too small for the rod - but she did end up getting a couple of mackies.... just in case you think I was being sexist). His brother dropped down and, bang, got a solitary mackerel.. then almost at the same time, this little lad's rod bent over....., "It's not the rig then, is it?" he said to me as he hauled 3 mackerel on board.... I had to smile .... such wise words from one so young!

Best fish of the week was caught by a complete beginner. There was no wind and almost no tide...we were drifting but almost stationary (speed 0.1kt over the ground) and I was beginning to worry about blanking on a 2 hr trip. They had managed to get some mackerel and small codling (returned) and I used one mackie for bait... and then one chap got a 6.5lb ling... not going to break records... but a nice fish to take home for supper.

Next week, aside from the usual holiday trips, I've got a couple of Aussies on a full day out... so hopefully we will get some decent cod.... I'll report back then
Rob

Where you been hiding with reports like that? :laugh:
Crackin read there :hammer:
Nice to know there's another decent charter on the go as well.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
nice report that mate ,would be a nice wee feature read if you put a monthly one like that in regularly !
cheers rab

1 - 9 of 9 Posts