World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this subjects been raised before but thought it best to raise it again Fished on board Terry Batts boat "vicky emma" on Thurs15th march on the back of the good reports from the previous weekend. Got out to the area that they had been getting good hauls of codling and roker from off the clacton and walton coastline Wallet area to find 3 trawlers all working within 1/2 mile from the shore. Bang goes the "spring run" of fish all cleaned up over the coarse of a couple of days. Seems strange they turn up 3-5 days after it was reported on wsf and Leader lines. Coincidence or do they read whats going on and where? Couldnt fish the mark terry wanted to due to it being in the direct line of 2 boats working up and down. Being careful not to mention where, we moved somewhere else and had a good day anyway 25 codling and a dozen roker to 14.5 lb on the boat. Makes you wonder if you put in a report of loads of fish being caught at benfleet creek or some obscure location whether you would find trawlers working it 3 days later? Also heard news that a commercial boat hauled out 3/4 ton of skate over 2 days further up the coast what chance do we have?

15,082 Posts
The trawlers in question have been working the mark for weeks! (Since November!) They dont need to read reports on here to know where to fish.These guys are local and old hands at the game and dont need the likes of you and me to know where to fish.As it happens they are actually working for soles anyway,the gear they have to work for cod would mean very little return as the mesh sizes means any codling below about 8lb would pass straight through and as the fish there are in the 3-5lb bracket it would be a complete waste of time fishing for them.Im surprised Terry,the top skipper he is,even bothered with taking you into the Wallet on Thursday on a small tide as the fishing there is only really good on bigger tides anyway!......Dominator was just outside there in the tide run on Thursday (Amongst the Trawlers) and had 28 keepers and 9 Roker between 2 anglers.....Dont believe everything you read on here about commercial boats and practises as 99.99% of it is complete rubbish!...As for the skate,there was a total targetting ban but that has now been changed to 250KG whole fish landed a day so yes,3/4ton is possible...Nothing to worry about though as the Estuary has more roker now than ever so for the past 200yrs it has held up remarkably well!.....The fishing is better now than in the past 10yrs,AND GETS BETTER EVERY YEAR.....I know,Im out there all the time.

Ron

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Anglers would gain much more by watching where the commercials go and when rather than vice versa.
These boys understand tide flows , migratory patterns and much more. Remember it`s not just a bit of fun for them but an exacting science, nothing is done by chance but for a reason. Work out the reasons and you`ll become a better angler !

www.kentcharterfishing.com

15,082 Posts
Anglers would gain much more by watching where the commercials go and when rather than vice versa.
These boys understand tide flows , migratory patterns and much more. Remember it`s not just a bit of fun for them but an exacting science, nothing is done by chance but for a reason. Work out the reasons and you`ll become a better angler !

Well said Dave :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stand corrected then Ron thanks for putting me picture with some usefull info
and I take back what I said about the commercial boys!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ron

you say that if the trawlers were fishing for cod then anything under 8lb would simply pass through the net. then why is the mls so small cause an 8lb fish must be around 50cm length.

Also we all know that once a trawl net starts to fill the mesh size efffectively shrinks meaning that all undersize fish get trapped and then end up dead.
if the cod fishing fleet were only catching fish upwards of 8lb then cod would be the most plentiful fish in the sea.

or am i being stupid and have mis-understood your post.

p.s don't take this the wrong way and get all defensive and threaten to stop posting as i am one of the many who enjoy reading you catch reports.

dicky.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Ron,
It is very good to hear some encouraging comments about our area. I used to think that everywhere else was better, greener grass and all but now I think the Thames is a pretty good area to fish, and I hope to as often as I can this year.
JONc

15,082 Posts
Ron

you say that if the trawlers were fishing for cod then anything under 8lb would simply pass through the net. then why is the mls so small cause an 8lb fish must be around 50cm length.

Also we all know that once a trawl net starts to fill the mesh size efffectively shrinks meaning that all undersize fish get trapped and then end up dead.
if the cod fishing fleet were only catching fish upwards of 8lb then cod would be the most plentiful fish in the sea.

or am i being stupid and have mis-understood your post.

p.s don't take this the wrong way and get all defensive and threaten to stop posting as i am one of the many who enjoy reading you catch reports.

dicky.
Hi Dicky.A Cod trawl setup will be completely different to a trawl set up for say Sole or plaice fishing.A Cod trawl needs to fish ''faster''..You need to tow quicker in order to catch Cod,also the trawl headline needs to fish higher in the water too as the fish are not always tight to the bottom.Smaller boats achieve this by fishing much larger mesh in the first part of the trawl,meaning less drag through the water,but the fish need to be a bigger stamp than the ones we are catching to get a decent haul and too not pass through the bigger mesh.A Trawl fishing for soles would fish smaller mesh in the first part of the trawl and ''Tickler''chains from the otter boards and on certain parts of the quarters and ground rope to basically ''Tickle''the flatfish from the sand and doesnt need to to be towed over the ground so quickly.With the much larger mesh in the cod trawl the smaller fish will pass through (The vast majority) anyway.Youre right talking of the mesh in the codend part of the trawl ''Bunging up''and trapping smaller fish but nothing is perfect.Im not saying a boat fishing for soles will not catch any cod,of course it will and vice versa for a boat looking for cod catching a small amount of soles but no where near enough to make a days money.I actually know of noone in the Thames Estuary specifically targetting Cod.
Deepsea trawling is slightly different,massive horsepower means that a catch of cod while fishing soles or Plaice is likely but this would tend to be bigger Cod anyway.
The penultimate way for Cod fishing and indeed Bass too is infact pair trawling,Large net,no trawl doors and you can tow faster.....How many boats do you see pairing in the Wallet? Ive never ever seen any,you do on occasions see them off of Southend pier (The Gilson Boats) These again are not fishing Cod but Whitebait and on occasions,Spratts.Although there looks to be a lot a lot of fish in the Wallet,they are on the same line and there probably in the scope of things are not that many at all.Roker are a different story,they are everywhere and there are tons of them,there really is no fear of these being wiped out.If they hit them too hard,the market price drops to pennies a Kilo so what would be the point?.....Soles are where the money is and the quotas have again been cut on these so what will happen to this fishery? We will have to wait and see.When you are next out and angling,look at which way the tide is running,watch the trawler get his gear up,he will then run down the tide before he shoots away again into the tide,he will tow slowly,head to tide,he is working Soles and flatfish with a few Roker thrown in.A small inshore Trawler working into the tide has less chance of catching a bag of Cod than I do of becoming a mod on this site!:)
Oh one more observation,Beam Trawlers are not used for Cod Fishing,beamers are used basically for flatfish,again mostly soles and Plaice,a beam trawl is next to useless for Cod fishing.

Ron

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A very good answer Ron , by the sound of it you have experienced commercial fishing first hand. i have nether fished the thames estuary but sounds as though it is a well balanced healthy fishery.

most of my shore fishing is in the brissy channel and when the commercials work the bays after thornies there is a noticeable decline in catches from the shore. the marks do re-plenish themselves as new fish move in but this does take a while.

cheers
dicky.

15,082 Posts
A very good answer Ron , by the sound of it you have experienced commercial fishing first hand. i have nether fished the thames estuary but sounds as though it is a well balanced healthy fishery.

most of my shore fishing is in the brissy channel and when the commercials work the bays after thornies there is a noticeable decline in catches from the shore. the marks do re-plenish themselves as new fish move in but this does take a while.

cheers
dicky.
Hi mate,I was deepsea fishing for a number of years working for Boston Deep Sea Fisheries,fished Iceland,Greenland,White Sea,North Sea and the Grand Banks and then had my own Beamer inshore fishing.I just have my own angling boat now.

Ron

·
Registered
278 Posts
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi Ron, that took some writing now the trawlers have been stopped fishing the medway from garrison to medway city estate that means more soles for us good ah

15,082 Posts
PS, Ron what do you think of the Abu 7000LD
Not a bad reel but rot like hell!...The 7500C3 would be be better and is the same price.People are now selling any ABU for around £59.99.I prefer my Shimano 2000 Charter Special LD a top notch reel and nothing to rot as it made from Carbon Fibre.
If you want an ABU though and it is for Boat fishing,go for the 10000LD as it still ok for uptiding and casts as far as you would need too.Better gearing and is a decent reel.
Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts