World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to try something big from shore so im gonna try for a skate later in year i know its gonna take some heafty tackle

for a rod im gonna use my century g5 sport reel ive either got slosh 30 or shimano tld 15 but i dont think the slosh will cope
will be using braid not sure what strenght hooks ia ssume should be used the same size as the ones from boat and de-barbed trace lenght not sure what to use i have 200 lb mono or coated wire trace

if i can get some help on this what else id need id be greatful

thanks
ade

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
not sure about from the shore bud but me n craigdeluxe both had Commons off the boat on slosh 30's. biggest was maybe 70lbs

Neal
The Skink

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Remember The Chap Who Had The Skate At West Loch Tarbet, What Did He Use , Im Sure It Was Just Standard , Heavy Beach Gear.

Al

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just fancy seeing how much my g5 can take before i snap it i cant sell it so i'll snap it fishing

and skate is only biggest fish i can think of also included with the fun of tring to beach it

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Remember The Chap Who Had The Skate At West Loch Tarbet, What Did He Use , Im Sure It Was Just Standard , Heavy Beach Gear.

Al
hi al
if i remember right it WAS standard beach gear and 18lb line...... personally i thought it was a wind up, but u can land big fish on light line

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
good luck ade on your skate hunt.. wouldnt mind tryin it my self but dont know if ive got the b4lls for it :wiggle:

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
good luck ade on your skate hunt.. wouldnt mind tryin it my self but dont know if ive got the b4lls for it :wiggle:
why not its gotta be adrenalin rush to have summin on a rod that big
ive had one from a boat and it was some work gettin it off bottom

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hiya,

No windup karl, it was totaly 100% genuine
but it was shallow water and the fish almost beached itself did it not?

I believe the first one off Harris was caught on 50lb braid and a abu 10,000 - far more sensible option.

I'd use 75lb dynon on a penn 555, but that's just personal preference

·
Registered
754 Posts
Abu 9000c and 65lb braid. There was one caught on lighter gear but you must be aware that we were fishing in shallow water with no snags. I would say that in most places where any lifting of the fish would be required then light gear = no fish.
Reels are not so important as you are not trying to winch the fish up............more a case of dragging in then retrieving line so a slosh type reel is fine.
What is most important is where you choose to fish as if there are any ledges out from where you are fishing you will be snookered. You wont pull a skate over an obstacle even 1 foot high if you are not well above the fish.
We have all settled on 80lb ish braid and 10/0-14/0 hooks. Too many fish were getting lost with lighter gear.
Once Lewis888 arrives back he will entertain you with a funny story involving a skate............

1 - 12 of 12 Posts