World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 reports in one.

2 nights back I went to Lee Bay and fished ½ up and 3 down on a pretty small high, tucked into the rocks as far left as I could go. Bait was maddies & a 3oz flowing trace on a bass rod.

Not a great deal of action but several bites once the slack water started to drain. The fish came eventually though, all exactly on the keepr mark (all got lucky and went back though) ... including Quasimodo the Hunchbass there at the top. Great sport off that one as well on the thin rod ... deserved to fight another day, I think.

##​

Then Instow last night, where the beach continues to steepen and drain out to sea – there are a few spots developing which will be relatively deep on a bigger high soon (all the fishing here is in just a couple of feet of water, but that doesn't phase the bigger fish. Sometimes.)​

Only had 90mins to fish it up, and not very many manky rag left, but I'd obviously picked the right spot! Got only six casts in before it turned ... and every one came in with a bass on the end. All schoolies though, starting with a pair at about 4oz and gradually increasing. Nos 4&5 were over the pound mark and the last one, right on the high, came in at 1½ and fought like a demon (love this new light rod!)
Unfortunately though, despite the barbless hook he was deep hooked and bleeding, so although I tried to return him, he came back in belly-up and is now awaiting medical treatment in my fridge.​

Instow is fine up to the high, plus 30mins if you're lucky, and then the fishing dies a death. Decided on one last cast right on the half-hour after - expecting the 100% fish-rate to be broken, but just as I was packing up my other gear the rod went over. Struck into a reasonable fish which fought well for a minute before the hook pinged out of it's mouth.​

Well ...one single blank cast in a night ain't bad, I thought, wound in and found I had caught, after all!​

:clap2:​

·
Registered
125 Posts
nice 1 4fox, yeah ive been gettin a varied weight to length ratio like 2lb @ 40cm & 1 1/2lb @ 45cm some skinny some fat, but your hunchback there looks like another fish altogether! funny old game:)
tight lines

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get the feeling they lose weight in the winter and fatten up around now Gazz. [Does anyone know if this is true?]
I've had several thin ones in the last months, plus plenty of 'normal' build, but can't remember a good, solid, fleshy fish all year, whatever their size.

We had skinny one out at Croyde a few weeks back that we were all putting at welllll over 2lbs, 2½ even, from the length, but it only just scraped over 1½ on the scales.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
is that the lee bay near ilfracombe been a couple of times but no luck

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Foxy the Bass Master does it again

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

That there Devon fish does look a little odd now you come to mention it. LOL

I'm gonna have to get me some maddies and give it a bash with my travel spin rod. Not had a Bass for a couple of months now. I've been looking for a ray instead with no luck as yet :schmoll: In fact I've NEVER had a flat fish (apart from one time in the summer when we went for a beer after a charter trip and my mate left the fish in a bag under the car and forgot about them).

:)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
OK OK, you twisted my arm.

Me and the octopus visited a highly secret, but productive mark yesterday.

Its name, Little Comfort, we hard Carp, Roach and Bream and ......

Sorry, just forgot, this is a sea fishing forum. LOL

·
Registered
340 Posts
LMFAO!!!

:lmao:

You should have left a trail of sweets. :blink:
Sweets are no good.
For Foxy to leave a sweet on the ground would be like him having to put his fishing gear away for a week HE COULDN'T DO IT.
Anyway theres no chance of him having sweets because if he doesn't eat them his kids will.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts