World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience in catching sandeels from portsmouth solent area, if so were and how. ( I have got a live bait tank on the boat with water beeing pumped through from the sea so keeping them alive should be ok)
As you can imagine buying them cost a fortune.

Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi Mate, you will need a sand eel trawl with doors etc and you can get the eels in langstone harbour, at slack water they rise in colums and are easily spotted on the fishfinder,

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi mate, they're not and you realy need a boat designed for towing, with strong points on the stern, an alternative is to speak to one of the inshore trawlers which is moored oposite hardway sailing club and see if you can get one of them to do a tow for you. one of them does it for about £50 and you will get about 300 sand eels which would be enough for a couple of days with two or three fishing, you would have to arrange to get them from him and be able to store them .

·
Registered
303 Posts
yes mate, shrimp feathers they are called very small pink?red feathers with tiny hooks, again finding the eels is the trick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi mate, do u sell the feathers ? U said langstone is the best place do u know exactly were abouts and ill give it ago. no harm trying he he

·
Registered
303 Posts
No Mate I dont, the main channel up between the moored yachts is where we've had them at slack water high or low from end of may onwards, you will also find them when your steaming if you have your fishfinder on they look like a pinnacle just sticking out of the bottom. and when the mackerel come in small joeys are good for live baiting with for bass, and you will be able to keep quite a few alive in your tank, you may also find some launce (big sandeels) just off the cement wreck by Dean tail.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In that case thanks for helping me out getting the Merc back on my Dory the other day mate. Realised I didnt give you you spanner back so hope you found it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts