World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was up the river adur for a couple of hours yesterday with my brother in the hunt for mullet.
i used a float with bread and my brother was spinning with a holographic toby lure.
we saw a few slashes which could have been mullet or bass but not seeing them clearly, can't be definate.

i know mullet will take the fly but i've not got the kit for that.
has anyone else got any proven baits and methods for catching the mullet?

cheers

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The flashing fish are mullet. I saw some on Friday on the Adur but didn't have my mullet gear with me (i.e. no bread). Bread definitely works on the Adur but I haven't tried yet this year. It may be that they take a while to get back on the bread after the Winter. River ragworms can work as well.

T

·
0 Posts
Freeline the bread on a size 6 or size 8.
Find yourself a comfy eddy that you can put a little loose fed bread into and get them confident. Once you have them feeding they will start competing with each other and it is then that they become easy. 4lb mainline, size 6 hook and a bit of Tesco Value squeezed on. The thicklips will average about 4lb.

The thinlips may be interested in a spinner, but use a little (thumbnail sized) mepps spinner. Remove the treble hook and add about 2inches of light line and then a size 6 single hook. Put a tiny bit of harbour rag on that single hook to create a bit of sent and spin that slowly through the shoal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had a thick lipped mullet that was smack on 5lb yesterday. Caught on ledgered bread and near the cement works. will try and upload a photo.

Also when trying to catch thins with a spinner I would suggest using a float as well to help control the depth of the spinner. About 15-18in below the float is usual but can be as deep as 3ft and as shallow as 6 inches.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yesterday, i parked up round by cuckoo's corner and walked up the adur on the left side up river.
i went over the first style and walked on for about 1/4 mile trying in all that stretch.

is there a particular mark up there that anyone knows about?

also, is it better to get them on a low or high tide or is it irrelevant?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
maybe we should have a mullet mini meet!! lol

Jamie

·
Registered
279 Posts
cracking fish well done.Must admit i do not have the time to wait for the gray ghosts to bite.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maggots are also a great bait for mullet.
I've had good results both float fishing with them and on the feeder.But don't forget to keep loose feeding little and often to create competition.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its like most fish really, when you know where they are and have an idea of how to catch them its not too long before you hit success. Some of the bites can be finicky but when you connect its well and truly worth it. I would say that on average fish are over 3lb and thats not bad for what we call a shore caught fish.

This was a thick lip, the thin lipped mullety are completely different tactics and when you have a shoal biting then its fish after fish - best day was on the River Ouse near Lewes and managed 11 thin lips in one session. Sport like that is hard to come buy and on coarse gear then its can't get much better.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is there any particular time of day thats best?
at sunrise or sundown perhaps? or doesn't it seem to matter?

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Freeline the bread on a size 6 or size 8.
Find yourself a comfy eddy that you can put a little loose fed bread into and get them confident. Once you have them feeding they will start competing with each other and it is then that they become easy. 4lb mainline, size 6 hook and a bit of Tesco Value squeezed on. The thicklips will average about 4lb.

The thinlips may be interested in a spinner, but use a little (thumbnail sized) mepps spinner. Remove the treble hook and add about 2inches of light line and then a size 6 single hook. Put a tiny bit of harbour rag on that single hook to create a bit of sent and spin that slowly through the shoal.
Totally Agree with the above only I would be prepared to use a smaller single hook if they are shy.

Andy S
:notworthy Member of SAS:notworthy

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
i like to fish for mullet in the evening, at low tide.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts