World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried out the old groundbait Sunday morning in the Swellies. Again masses of bites but only part of tackle affected was the swimfeeder! Something's happening, but must add hooks to swimfeeder.

However, during the morning I had this fantastic run on the light rod. Clutch screaming, rod bending, heart pounding (close to orgasm I can tell you!) then it surfaced. It was a bloody Cormorant (about 20 lbs) Screamed at it in Welsh and Enlish. It was obviously bi-lingual because it stopped thrashing about, looked at me with a roaring eye (the other was the same) and I realised it was all a mistake. It hadn't taken my bait or a fish on it but had simply surfaced under the thin braid! Very luckily my slackening off everything allowed the beast to flap a bit, lose a few feathers, and it was off! So not only can I not catch any decent fish but even the bloody bird escaped!

The only other chap in the vicinity, attracted by the commotion came up and of course topped the story by telling me about the Penguin he'd once caught in the Faklands whilst spinning for Sea trout! (Didn't say how it tasted)

He'd had a 3 - 4 lb Codling and some Whiting but the bites dryed up when I appeared.

Think I'll change my name to Jonah!!

Caught any birds lately?

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
plugging for pike many years ago my mate hooked a swan through the foot- after one hell of a fight it finally snapped the line and got away. Funny thing is it came to the side of the pond and sat quietly while we cut it free-the line had wrapped itself around its beak and one wing and then flew off none the worse-I think, my mate still rekons its one of the best fights hes ever had

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My list now includes-

1 duck
1 swan
1 rook
1 cormorant

Sadly, these all fought better than 99.9% of the fish I've caught.

Rhod.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope that the RSPB are not on line!
The webfooted species I can understand but a rook?!
I had a mate who swore he caught a Bat whilst fly fishing at night for sea trout but then he'd exaggerate all his catches so I took it with a large pinch of salt.
How a ROOK!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Went down on Porthcawl wall . The fishing was slow ,so desided to catch some rats , by tying bait on the line (no hooks) of my six foot spinning rod . l had loads of runs , at least somthing made my rod bend . Does this count ? Also caught a clam which clamped on the line and a seagulls toe this was great fun for me but not the bird .removed the clam from my line and its toe and the bird flew off , no worse for its experiance .Put the clam on for bait and caught a 2lb bass .The way i look at it give mother nature a hand and she'l return it .no animals were injurred in eather trip. hee hee hee

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like that old song about swallowing a fly!

Once caught a Great Blacked back gull that was dive-bombing me by Church Island in menai bridge. Must have been on it's territory or rather where it wanted to fish! Cast a toby at it and the line went over its wing and brought it down. Wound it in and had to fend it off with my boot, vicious beak and bloody huge bird! Eventually, feeling very guilty at my temper, I was able to grasp the spinner which had not stuck in anywhere and bit the mono. The line pulled free and I never saw the bird again!

I wonder what you'd catch with a rat for bait? No pike in the sea, or are there?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Rook - ever practised casting in a field? Line gets wrapped round all sorts of things....

Also friends have had bats during night fly sessions. Poor things get caught in the wing which usually rips so they have to be humanely dispatched. Very sad.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's this practice then? I was in Lowestoft with the new rod/reel so I went to the beach to try them out. Blowing a huge gale. Went home after I'd lost three leads. Decided that practising losing tackle was obviously good as I seem to do a lot of it!

Catching the Rook makes sense though! Cheers!

Now, ...... I did once fish alongside a mermaid, but that's another story!

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dad caught a sand martin whilst fly fishing on the river Ely, near Cardiff. It took the fly mid-cast and it put up a reasonable fight - similar to a decent brownie. It was well hooked and my dad had to reel it right in to remove the fly. The sand martin , clearly unimpressed by the whole experience, , flew off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My son got into a competition on mumbles pier one time, him and another chap managed about 7-8 gulls between em, they congregate on the section thats closed and dive bomb your bait as ur casting. Pain in the butt, hopefully the council will finish repairs to it if they havent allready. Last time I fished there end of summer ( August not June) there were a lot of replacement boards stacked there. Any one know if it's repaired?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts