World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hi, I've recently crossed from freshwater to sea fishing and am in need of help on choice of reel size. I've brought myself a Abu Conolon 13ft beachcaster and have been lokking at a Abu 7000 LD i've also looked at the 6000/6500 size. Im just wondering is there any need for the larger spool size and how much casting distance i would lose by going for the 7000. Any info would be good.
Cheers

B

·
0 Posts
The 7000ld is more of a boat fishing reel you would be far better choosing a 6500 mag elite for beach casting.

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
A 7000 is more of a boat/uptide reel ,I have a pair of 6500 mag elites and cant fault them,perfect for beachcasting,never been able to empty the spool yet (but i live in hope)
if youve never used a multi suggest one with a levelwind until you get used
to it,but you get more distance from one without.just need to practise leveling the line with your thumb.hope this helps

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Iwannabafisherman,

If you are going to take up charter fishing as well as beachcasting then the 7000 would suffice for both i.e. if you are on a budget and can only afford one reel.

However if you are only going to beachcast, then, as Bigfish has said, the 6500
Mag Elite is the one for you.

The Abu 7000 reels can be used for casting but are a little on the heavy side.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
686 Posts
If you plan to use mono under 20lb - then the 6500/7ht/sl20/525 size would be a better option for a shore casting reel.

However if you fish heavy ground/rocks where mono greater than 25lb is required then I would look at the Abu 7500CT/sl30/535 size.

The 7000LD is a decent reel for uptiding - but because of the level wind it is slightly restricted for casting distance and spool grip.

Although the reel is a lever drag it does cast reasonably well - some lever drag reels don't have a true 'free spool' as there is always a bit of tension due to the drag mechanism.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx for the replies, i think i'll go with the 6500 mag elite. I've had a look on ebay and theres not alot to offer, i also looked on spottydogtackle.com and have seen an Abu 6500 CT Mag Elite (green) for £83 is this an average price and/or does anyone know of any other good online fishing stores where i might find a good deal, as am limited on the isle of wight as theres not many tackle shops.
Cheers again

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Wannaba,

Price is good, go for it. I normally use Poingdestres of Southampton, their price is £89.00

Cheers

Drew

J

·
0 Posts
id jump straight in and buy a 6500 elite or a mag elite. get a Ct cos ul need the extra casting distance as your fishing progresses. the Abu Conolon rod is a decent casting rod and a small Ct multiplier like a 6500 would be better off seated on that rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
hello there,
fishing around the isle of wight the abu 6500mag is a great choice,where do you intend to fish on the island?cowes will see some good fishing in the next couple of months,big bags of smoothounds and a few good bass should be taken,expect mackerel to show end of june as well, blackgang and chale are already throwing up some good rays,my son caught his first conger last night down at atherfield,it was only 8lb, but it was big enough to make him struggle as he is only 6.if you fish the solent expect to be plagued with spider crabs soon,there on the move up the solent,there were a lot at fort vic last week,if you need any help with island marks let me know and i will try to help if i can, good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have a Penn 525 Mag or an ABU 6500 series, you have the magnetic control to help you cast. Slide the mags to full on to begin with (number and then decrease or increase as your abilities and conditions allow.

As for the basic casting with the mutiplier, to begin with, you need to have a good line lay on the reel. If you have a level wind on the reel, this is done for you, if you don't, then make sure the line is even wound onto the reel by putting the line against your thumb when reeling in. Later, when you get more experienced, you can balance the reel with the line lay, but I won't go into that now. A level wind will reduce the cast length and you will find it more difficult to get a good grip on the spool with your thumb.

If you haven't cast with a multiplier before, have about 2 meters of line from the top of your rod to the lead, put your thumb firmly on the spool, release the lock to put it into free spool - still with your thumb firmly on the spool and cast. At the end of the cast, you lift your thumb and slam your thumb back on the spool when the lead touches down.

The shockleader must be a MINIMUM of 10lbs for every ounce of lead you are using as a rule. So for a 6oz lead you would use a 60lb leader. 60lb is a good all-round leader anyway - one less thing to worry about. My leaders are around 25 to 30 feet long. Don't bother measuring it out, just put the rod together, mount the reel, thread the line through the rings and tie on the leader. Wind the leader on so you have 8 turns of leader on the reel and cut the leader at least 2 meters from the end of the rod. More leader doesn't hurt by the way, but less could hurt someone else.

Just for fun, check out http://www.longcasters.org/movielist.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for all the replies, i went for the 6500 mag elite in the end looks and feels nice and cant wait to use it. Thx for the tips shrek im pretty much a total neewbie at sea fishing so any info is good. I have done a few trips down to blackgang and had a look atherfield way but not done any fishing from there, are u from the island or do u just come on fishing trips?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i can only say one thing. has anyone got the penn super mag. ok ya all talking about good gear. this is a beginner and i can swear by the super mag. it gives you the distance. penn has got rid of the freeky overun problam so good that even i cant get the dam thing to overun with a 7oz led. i do power cast and found that 20lb braid with 15 mtr tapered shock gives the best result but i only use that for beaches. i give a load of tournement fishermen a try and not one or two but all that tryed it say they getting one. but what the hell. i not byeing or using your gear. see if you can get a cast with a few and choose whats best for you. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts