World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught garfish last night heard someone say use as bait but what would you use garfish for ive only heard for conger eels any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
freeze garfish down they make one of the best whiting baits you could use in the winter ive won many matches using it.
gars are also an excellent bait for big bass in certain areas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Cutting the flesh into small squares ( and I mean small ), will make an excellent bait for Black Bream. Very oily bait, but unlike Mackerel, the flesh is quite firm, and hangs together well.:)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Gar also make prime and I mean PRIME bait for big flatties

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have had a few thornback ray on garfish. At times it seems to work for most species.

As already said garfish is a good for more.... garfish.

Wish I could catch them up here in Scotland. I bet they would be a great bait for plenty of species around Scotland - probably much better than those fashionable blueys.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Huss,Conger,Bass,Tope,Whiting,Small Eyed rays,Mackeral,Garfish,Pollack,Dogfish etc.

Used in small strips or long lengths of the Gar with bone in. Gar can be frozen for use in the winter too.

Its a good scent laden bait. Use the biigger ones for strip baits and the smaller ones in lengths with the backbone still in,flappering the part nearest the bottom pennel hook .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts