World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet one of you could put up a brilliant recipe for this, my mrs's one's always come out wet and runny..anyone, Gaza?

lighty

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Hiya Lighty, way i do mine is boil my cauli florets till still slightly undercooked.
Tip into a collander, shake well & leave to drain properly for 5 or 10 mins.
Put in an ovenproof dish & grate roughly equal quantities of mature Cheddar & crumbly Lancashire cheese over the cauli
(the Lancs does'nt melt & go gooey like Cheddar does so should cure your soggy cauli)
then place uncovered in a hot oven (220ish) till the cheese has melted/browned depending how you like it.
Rick;)
PS- if your feeling really adventurous try a bit of Stilton in with it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers Rick, really wanted a sauce, thats how it was always done in my family, perhaps your recipe is better though, I can see it wouldn't come out so soggy?

lighty

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lads, trouble is we like the cauli well cooked and with a sauce to cover it, that probably why it comes wet.

lighty

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/videos/techniques/how-make-bechamel-white-sauce
I always mix about half teaspoon of english mustard into the sauce before adding the cheese,as Rick says only boil the cauli lightly otherwise it will go mushy in the oven.
Add some packet bread crumbs over the top, add cheese topping and then oven bake/grill. The mrs does this with potatoes and cauliflower in the mix. Seems to be 'ze french' way of doing it.. *shrug*

I love cauliflower cheese but unfortunately my body doesn't like dairy.. Also love tartiflette and raclette but again... not so good ...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I put this up Nick, I too love cauliflower cheese, but my mrs got fed up with making it because it comes out soggy!
cheers

lighty

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Right pin your ears back Lighty,if you want to carry on chomping on cheap and nasty cheese sauce then don't bother reading on.............if...you want to munch on the smoothing tastiest cheese sauce.....at a price though then here we go !!!!!!!!!!!!

1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
3 tablespoons butter
30 grms flour
1 1/2 pints full cream milk
6 oz grated Gruyère cheese
6oz grated Comté cheese
3 oz grated fontina cheese
3oz grated Appenzeller cheese
Ground Pepper to taste

Cut up the cauli florets.....bring a pot of salted water to the boil..........if you want your veggies soft as you say then boil them to your liking .....IMO....I have tried er indoors by boiling them for 1 minute at a time
....cool....then munch on in...you will soon learn tween......"crunchy = 1 minute"...to soft which is 5 mins and over....so that is YOUR call lighty...were happy with around 3 mins....but that's what WE like.

Right here we go........KEEP HEAT DOWN AS YOU DONT WANT TO BURN IT....NUFFIN WORSE !!

In a medium Saucepan melt the butter on a med heat and whisk in the flour until smooth.
Whisk in the milk and carry on cooking continuing to whisk....you want to keep cooking for about 10 mins.........until you can coat the back of a spoon with the mixture .

Now stir in the grated cheeses until they are all incorporated.......

Season with salt and pepper to taste..!!!!!!!!!

Now wack the oven up to 220 degrees.......

lay all the florets in a glass dish and coat with the cheese mixure.......

25 mins will see the cheese topped cauli bubbling and ready to munch on in.......

IF you enjoy a crunchy topping then do the following and top the Cauliflower cheese
dish with this before putting in the oven.........for me its a scrummy addition
,....but that's up to you mate..

3 tbsp Butter
6oz Parmesan cheese grated
3oz Panko breadcrumbs

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the bread crumbs and Parmesan, toss to combine and cook until golden.

Just bake it until Golden Brown and enjoy mate.

Ive had this knocking about since 85 when I used to be in transport and took a few punters to a restaurant
in Ealing West London,I was so impressed with the Pork chops we had I nagged the chef in the kitchen
about them as he was whisking the crap out of this cheese recipe and me being me I had to try it .....;)

Give it a go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be warned its bloody rich but Oh so morish.

Gazza

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now that's what I want, cheers Gaza. Hope tescos sells that cheese?

lighty

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cauliflower cheese or the Mrs, thats a hard one, umm,let me think on this! :confused::)

lighty

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Did waitrose ever make it across the solent mate,or did they get stopped at the border as being a tad "Posh"
if ive wanted "odd things" there the place I go to as their customer services have always got things in for me ...provided I wait a while........just leave the mrs at their CS desk as a trade in....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Although you like the Cauli "soft" when you eat it, don't over boil it to start as once in the oven covered in the cheese sauce, it will continue to cook and soften.

Depending how much I need, I often do mine in a steamer in the micro wave as I find it helps to prevent it going wet and soggy so quickly.

Skatenchips gives a good outline of the cheese sauce. I use different cheeses but that's down to personal preference. If using chedder or other hard cheeses, I also like to add teaspoon of English mustard powder...Its not enough to give the sauce a strong/hot mustard flavour, but it definitely gives it a lift...If I am using a strong stilton for the sauce, I generally don't bother with the mustard..

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
If you like Cauliflower cheese, you can do similar with leeks or switch to an onion sauce...

I also like a pasta bake, with pasta shells, cauliflower, broccoli, leek and bacon bits covered in a cheese sauce and baked for about 20 to 30 minutes...

If you do with bacon, fry the bacon first, and then remove , and use the greasy pan to cook your flour for the cheese sauce. You may need to add a little more butter, but no much. Don't add any further salt as there is usually enough from the bacon...

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did waitrose ever make it across the solent mate,or did they get stopped at the border as being a tad "Posh"
if ive wanted "odd things" there the place I go to as their customer services have always got things in for me ...provided I wait a while........just leave the mrs at their CS desk as a trade in....:rolleyes:
"Waitrose"

I asked the Mrs, she thinks that there is one down in East Cowes, don't go down East Cowes way! cause it's about six miles away! though my Mrs did say that there is a turning of off the main road that takes you there,
i could probably find it ok.

She said too, that she thinks it is a bit posh in there, thats me first problem if I want to go there to get this cheese, she said I should go in there a bit smarter, but what she don't know is that I have lent me best
trousers to a mate, he's going to a wedding, so he wants to look good. He's a bit shorter than me, but I said that's ok just tuck them into your wellies, no one will notice, he went a bit quite, he said his wellies was a bit scruffy!

Easy, was my reply, just go down the beach and walk in the tide, they'll be lovely and clean then.

Reading his mind, I think he would really like to borrow my best shoes too, I expect our other mates will go straight to the wedding from work, so they will be in their wellies, but no, he wants to be different!
Knowing my mate, time I gets me trousers and shoes back i'll have gone off Cauly cheese?:):):)

Cheers for all the replies lads, its definitely looking like we could make a better cauli cheese now!

lighty

1 - 16 of 16 Posts