World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helloo there!!

any tips on fishing the sidan for bass?? rigs,weights,bait and tide times and hights please.

ive heard last 2 out and 1st 2 in on lowish tides? would crab be any good down there or 2 far from rocky ground?

gotta say what a great site this is with a mass of info!! hope what ive taken in will catch me a few more fish!!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
This might take a while :) First off Cefn Sidan is a bloody long beach 7 miles from end to end also at a big tide it is almost a mile from low to high water. This means that parts of the beach are only practibaly accessible using a 4x4. If you're walking keep it light as the tide comes in extremely quickly and you're walking back almost constantly. Now for the good news-there are fish along the whole beach and so you could be in for a good session although I've always found low water and a couple of hours after to be productive high water can also be good but unless you're at either end where the estuaries are it's difficult to fish past high tide as the water goes out so quickly that it's difficult to find any depth-although bass can be found in the surf the bigger ones are usually just beyond the surf line. As for rigs I usually use a 3 hook paternoster - weights to suit conditions there is a strong left to right rip which can necessitate up to 6 oz of grip lead. Peeler crab can be deadly but I have caught most consistantly using blow lug although the last decent bass I caught there-a 4 pounder took ragworm(usually pretty good for the flounder which are also there in numbers)

·
Registered
28 Posts
For those people who don't know Cefn Sidan iv'e put an aerial map up to show you what it's like. Although you can fish anywhere' I marked 3 good spots. Mark 1 is free access, but be careful if you fish at dead low water on a big tide as you could walk down to the water and find your on a sandbank and the water could come in behind you.
Mark 3 is about a 3 mile walk so you can only get to it by 4 wheel drive through mark 1.
Mark 2 is pretty close to the main entrance.

Link http://homepages.tesco.net/~david.dawney/C...danAerial01.htm
kipper

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx there roller! im gonna give it a shot as soon as!! u had any luck this yr yet??

kipper, ive tried the link and its a no go?? cant get the page up. any chance u could try again plz m8?

nice 1 folks! ;)

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hi Fishy,

All I've had this year are schoolies to about 2lb but it's still a bit early-should pick up from now on in so will be on the beach as much as possible :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hay thanx there kip!!! i know how 2 get to that car park and will give it a go soon!!!

have u fished the night there roller?? coz wot ive seen on the site its best to fish in the night or is that a bit much work?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a few notes about Cefn Sidan. You can fish during the day as there are no surfers there but there must be a bit of surf, not to rough though. Night, dawn and dusk are best especially if there is no surf.
Fish with one rod and put your fishing gear in a small rucksack. You don't need much tackle. Either hang your rucksack on your tripod or keep it on your back, if you put it down on the sand you'll be moving it every 5 minutes. I normally hold my rod standing in the water about thigh deep and then move back as it gets deeper. I also keep the bait bucket, and cloth on a belt so I don't have to go back and forth to bait up.
kipper

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hay thanx kipper!!! think i got all the info i need 2 give the sidan a good blast now! looks like this weekends a no go with this weather and i got a bucket full of crabs 2!! :mad:

Fishy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts