Registered
3,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this ok for cleaning blanks down or stick to acetone

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Hi,

it's good to clean/degrease bare carbon blanks, but it can react on some varnish's, decals, etc .... always do a compatibility test on a small, unconspicuous place first.

Gert

Reactions: Ftp900

·
Registered
11,879 Posts
Most of my rods are cleaned with meths. If I`ve fully rubbed down a blank ready for coating then I clean that with celly thinners. Acetone I rarely use unless I want to thin high build. :)

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
We use all three, different adhesive residues on refurbished blanks are not always soluable to meths. On really new blanks straight from the factory, where we have to put in a permanently fixed reducer - we use acetone to clean out the releasing agent from the mandrel. Though generally meths is favoured - least aggresive.

Reactions: Ftp900

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to resurect an old thread, but i want to strip varnish from an old zippy blank for a fresh rebuild...what would you reccomend?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
hi someone who actually knows what they are on about rod wise will answer better but I wouldn't touch a rod with thinners it'll probably melt something ...lol used it lots in car bodywork it's horrible stuff and bad for you too lol

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Fyi in the composites industry, Acetone is the general purpose solvent/cleaner.

But I have used cellulose thinners on the few blanks I have rebuilt and it does a good job as well. Only picked it up as I saw it cheap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts