World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a second hand 6500 mag elite which looked immaculate and I thought I had a bargain.
Now I'm not so sure.
The reel is the flash orange one and it appears to be impossible to centre the spool.
No matter what I try the spool is always over to the right by almost the full thickness of the rim.
I have checked that all washers etc are there and the LH plate appears to be flat and true.
Even if I completely unscrew the adjuster on the LH side the spool will not move any further left.

Has anyone else seen this problem or better still found a solution?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Occasionally a reel can get dropped and the sideplate does push in slightly preventing correct adjustment the problem being the brass bullet that supports the spindle has a shoulder on it that won,t let adjustment go further than that ,try taking any brass shims out that are behind the left hand side bearing if there are no shims and the bearing is pushed fully in and the spool still won,t move far enough to the left you can either ,carefully file a tiny amount off the front of the bullet were it touches the spool this will allow the spool to move further over ,or get a small amount machined off the shoulder of the bullet or get hold of a sports rocket MK1 or black rocket bullet ,these have no shoulder and allow enough movement to let the spool rub on the magnets (the reason behind the shoulder)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply!
Is there any advantage to machining the shoulder?
Would it allow the point of the bullet to push into the LH end cap more and reduce the adjustment?
Also, would I need to add extra shims under the RH bearing to stop the RH end cap coming to the end of the thread or would it be better to add shims inside the cap itself?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Machining 0.5mm off the shoulder of the bullet will allow the spool to move over more towards the left this should now allow the righthand tensioner to take up the free play putting more shims in the adjuster won,t have any effect unless the middle of the ones you have in are bent due to the spindle pushing the middle of them in .Another couple of brass washer could be placed behind the right hand bearing .Abu surgeon general would be able to talk you through any problems at all he has probably fixed more reels than the rest of us put together and as he designed the magelite will have the answer to any probs

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone!
I shaved a little off the bush and played with the end cap shims.
I can now get the spool centred OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts