World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all which is the better mixed and smooth ground rod out of century tip tornado supermatch or tip tornado supermatch graphex? Lighter? Bite sensitivity and stronger to handle kelp and rocks. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
451 Posts
The Graphex is significantly lighter and has much better bite detection. The MKII SM is probably a bit pokier. Both rods have the word ‘match’ in the name, they are not really designed for kelp/boulders (rough ground fishing). You might want something a bit heavier duty but, then you sacrifice sensitivity, weight and in some cases bite detection.

Everyone has a different impression of what is optimal and in most cases has different requirements to the next man. Which species are you targeting? Which area of the country? What sort of casting distances can you hit with a plain 5oz or 6oz? What is your casting method? Are you a FS or multi user? Braid or mono?

If I had to choose one of these two it would he the Graphex, just for the weight difference and bite detection. It is a true smooth to mixed ground rod but, kelp beds/boulders are more of a mixed to rough ground rod requirement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi mate thanks for detailed reply.. i fish in the tyneside/northumberland area usually. I use a slosh 30 multiplier with mono obvs. Im not a great caster but dnt need to be on most of my preferred marks fishing for cod in autumn winter.
Ive got a kompressor supersport which i love and is a heavy ground rod but as i try to fish around the snags not directly into them if i can help it.. i feel the rod is overgunned so i thought a mixed ground rod would suit me better. Any suggestions buddy? I posted this thread on tackle dicusions and someone suggested a t900.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hi mate thanks for detailed reply.. i fish in the tyneside/northumberland area usually. I use a slosh 30 multiplier with mono obvs. Im not a great caster but dnt need to be on most of my preferred marks fishing for cod in autumn winter.
Ive got a kompressor supersport which i love and is a heavy ground rod but as i try to fish around the snags not directly into them if i can help it.. i feel the rod is overgunned so i thought a mixed ground rod would suit me better. Any suggestions buddy? I posted this thread on tackle dicusions and someone suggested a t900.
You have quite a mix of ground up there too. Typically guys up there user s stiffer calibre of rod but, there is no reason you can’t use the SM’s. Just remember no rod is designed for fighting the sea bed or kelp beds. If you snag you’ll have to use other methods than thrashing the rod to get free. A reel with strong drag system or some gloves and pull free.
I have taken both these rods on rough ground but, I am not silly with rods (generally). If you use a lighter gage of rod, you are more careful. If you were a big caster I would say to look at something stiffer but, I can see exactly why you want something lighter, it will be a greater pleasure to use. Just remember rods are not for lifting fish, they are not winches. I know a fair few lads in the NE who lift fish.

Regarding the T900 I feel power wise it may feel closer to your Komp SS than the Graphex SM. Though it is a very popular rod for mixed to rougher ground. Maybe pop into somewhere like North East tackle and see if you can pick up both and have a feel but, make sure any shops knows your casting requirements and where you’ll be fishing etc.

Also take into account glass tips, they bend first quote dramatically before the lower tip and mid sections of the rods, some guys prefer carbon tips. The TTSM Graphex & T900 have S2 glass tips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate.. yea i think im gonna pull the trigger on the graphex but mayb the original tip tornado supermatch with gold rings would suit me better. Def best having a feel if you can in the tackle shop. Ive never tried the drag system to pull from a snag. I usually thumb down on my multiplier and keep pullin in all directions till i snap hopefully the rig and not the rod lol. Is that the best way to pull from snags release the drag a little? I usually have it locked down.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thanks mate.. yea i think im gonna pull the trigger on the graphex but mayb the original tip tornado supermatch with gold rings would suit me better. Def best having a feel if you can in the tackle shop. Ive never tried the drag system to pull from a snag. I usually thumb down on my multiplier and keep pullin in all directions till i snap hopefully the rig and not the rod lol. Is that the best way to pull from snags release the drag a little? I usually have it locked down.
Just to advise caution, you need a reel that is upto it to do that using the drag system, If I was on multi i’d use something like a Saltist BG 20 or 30. Apply pressure gradually, hold the spool, walk back with the rod pointed the snag so no pressure on the blank. If the reel is not upto it, you could bust the reel. If not sure, use gloves and your hands. Remember the objective is to get your gear back, not to snap the line, so apply only the pressure thats needed. I am sure someone will disagree with me on that but, I have done it hundreds of times or more with zero issues.

If the MkII feels better, got for it, you’ll save some £.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use slosh reels so i think il jus use my hands lol. Getting snagged often on most of the north east marks is unavoidable. If you want consistant fishing that is

·
Registered
451 Posts
I use slosh reels so i think il jus use my hands lol. Getting snagged often on most of the north east marks is unavoidable. If you want consistant fishing that is
Makes sense to me, I switched over to some pretty robust fixed spools and I use 58lb Jbraid upwards. It allows me to pull through quite a lot, even snapping my hooks on occasion. I have found it so much better on tackle tackle losses. Its changed my fishing as I am sure it has done for many anglers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know a lot of lads are goin fixed spool braid way.. i jus grew up in the old north east style telegraph pole rod slosh or penn multiplier, titan smock and chest wadrs geordie pyjamas. Plus i prefer the feel of a multiplier but braid would cut through snags so much better not to mention the strength of it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see how it would be but fixed spools feel so clumsy but worth it to get your rig back anyday

·
Registered
8,861 Posts

N

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never fish with drag locked down or one day will regret it when rod goes flying over the edge!
Best thing for pulling line is short piece of softwood like pine bannister/staircase handrailing(Has a rounded edge)Wrap line round half dozen or so times like screw thread then wind it down tight to obstruction then either keep turning till moves(constant pressure) or overlap line on wood if slipping and pull
Hi mate have you got a link or anything that explains that wood idea better? Im interested in anything that helps get my rig back but dont understand how wrapoing it around wood woukd be diff to wrapping the like atound your hand if your wearing gloves?

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Hi mate have you got a link or anything that explains that wood idea better? Im interested in anything that helps get my rig back but dont understand how wrapoing it around wood woukd be diff to wrapping the like atound your hand if your wearing gloves?
B

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Never fish with drag locked down or one day will regret it when rod goes flying over the edge!
Best thing for pulling line is short piece of softwood like pine bannister/staircase handrailing(Has a rounded edge)Wrap line round half dozen or so times like screw thread then wind it down tight to obstruction then either keep turning till moves(constant pressure) or overlap line on wood if slipping and pull
Surely just set the drag to allow a fish to run while fishing, and tighten up when you reel in?

He’s using a multi so none of that mangle faffing.

To the OP, I do what Kennedy said, either point the rod at the snag, lock the reel up, usually by trapping the line against the rod, and ease back with steady pressure.
If it’s a real beggar I’ll do it by hand with gloves or sleeves or rag, whatever is handy. That’s with mono mind, not braid

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Because it's a fixed object then you use as a winch turning it so wind line tight and if have line round it but overlapping as wind tight allows spare line to be taken up by someone if fishing together or just lies on ground and not getting crushed where other line bites into it.

Used to do that when fished on pier with heavy braid being softwood line beds into a bit rather than slipping with harder objects
Yea i might jus try that mate.. anything to help get my gear back

·
Registered
142 Posts
Graphex every time! The rods are super light and very well made.

I have 2 Tip Tornado sport graphex rods which century made for me as a custom order they were made shorter at 13ft 6inch rather than the 13ft 11inches. Fantastic rods and a great company I’m sure you will be happy with which ever rod you buy.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Surely just set the drag to allow a fish to run while fishing, and tighten up when you reel in?

He’s using a multi so none of that mangle faffing.

To the OP, I do what Kennedy said, either point the rod at the snag, lock the reel up, usually by trapping the line against the rod, and ease back with steady pressure.
If it’s a real beggar I’ll do it by hand with gloves or sleeves or rag, whatever is handy. That’s with mono mind, not braid

T

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Trouble with locking it up and pulling direct on the reel is.........Likely to bend spindle or/and distort frame.Known old ABU's to snap cage @blakdog
True. I normally trap the line against the rod and hopefully take most of the pressure on there, although I suppose it’s not foolproof

1 - 20 of 22 Posts