World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
True. I normally trap the line against the rod and hopefully take most of the pressure on there, although I suppose it’s not foolproof
I do the same and usually get away with it ... once or twice I haven't but such is life ... t'was my own fault. With braid or if its a worry a 4 inch piece of dowel is handy. It fits in a fishing bag no problem and you can wind line or braid round it half a dozen times to take the strain off the reel.

With a fixed spool its important to have the spool as far back towards the reel body as it will go before you put any strain on (same goes for casting). If the spool is fully forward you can easily bend or twist the oscillation shaft as it is very vulnerable when fully extended.

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
I do the same and usually get away with it ... once or twice I haven't but such is life ... t'was my own fault. With braid or if its a worry a 4 inch piece of dowel is handy. It fits in a fishing bag no problem and you can wind line or braid round it half a dozen times to take the strain off the reel.

With a fixed spool its important to have the spool as far back towards the reel body as it will go before you put any strain on (same goes for casting). If the spool is fully forward you can easily bend or twist the oscillation shaft as it is very vulnerable when fully extended.
Cheers, though don’t really do braid and fixed spool.

Yes I realise it’s probably not the best practice but like you, so far I’ve got away with it.
If the snag is particularly bad the line gets wrapped around my arm instead lol. That’s mono, mind you!

21 - 22 of 22 Posts