World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a T800, half of which is currently at the rod builders getting high build over the sticker, I am now looking for the next step up, stronger more powerful casting rod. I dont need it yet but it would be nice to have one on board so I can check my progress as I go.

The obvious answer is T900 but I had such a **** time of buying a new T800 I am not keen to buy another new top money rod this month.

Would an Excaliber J or C curve be a more powerful rod for casting over grass? Or should I hold out for the T900? What sort of money should I pay for a used C or J curve?

Otherwise Zziplex, what would be a better casting rod than a T800? I am thinking M4 Evo or one of the Bullets but I have little experience of the current Zippys and only own a 4500 at the minute.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Personally (just my opinion) I think it depends if you're looking for casting or fishing rods. Even that statement depends on your personal casting style....

The T900 just shades it over the C curve (in my opinion) but a bit long for rock ledges though....my way.

on the zzippy side I have used and owned the Dymic LT14, M4 and M427. For me the M427 too powerful, the Dymics were distance rods the M4 closest to a fishing rod but allround I prefer my T900's for Bristol channel, great tips, easy action !

Before it all kicks off this is just my opinion and not an attempt to start of a zzippy vs Century war

Musky

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Id say stick to what you have as you will get used to the action /feel..you dont need a stronger rod for casting...its plenty capable...you might. ..prefer a carbon tip for casting as i do but to start with,stick to what you have...the t800 and t900 are far superior to the c curves and j curves..superb rods..

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Unlike Iven, I have not tried anything in the new T range, but I have heard very good things about the 1000 from some unlikely sources. As a fishing rod and casting.

Everyone is different, but I do prefer a 14'11" rod for out and out distance.

Going to have to get my act together and start accruing some T's myself.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Why not go to a sportscast day?have a chat with the guys who cast over grass,for me fishing rods and out n out casting tools are different animals,I use T900 for fishing and am looking into T800 to pair it with,but think I would go down the carbon,stiffer tipped rods for just casting.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Currently using a T800 on the Bristol Channel handles it with ease, except for the roughest ground. I have also just bought a M4 EVO for whenI am fishing rough days into the wind. Will let you know how the M4 EVO performs, but for general fishing love the T800. The M4GT is also a very good rod, my pal has one, lovely tip and casts very well.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
T900 is shocking weight wise it weighs nearly 1kg it's nothing like the t800 which I think is a nice well balanced rod fished reel down.
The 900 needs the reel a good 10 inches plus up from the bottom of the butt and is tiresome to fish with reel down sold mine on bought a bullet hiflex a joy to fish with.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a pair of T900's, they do exactly as they are stated to do. Rough ground, fast tides, big weight and big baits ect. I don't find them heavy and use them reel down. For clean beaches 5oz lead and worm baits they are over gunned, but still useable. They are a deceptively powerful rod, yes they have a glass tip but the rest of the rod is very pokey.

In reference the weight, just go into a tackle shop and pick one up. ....they're not a fly rod..

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not go to a sportscast day?have a chat with the guys who cast over grass,for me fishing rods and out n out casting tools are different animals,
That is what got me into this trouble in the first place :oops: I hadnt been casting on a field for about 10 years and was ready to bore anyone that I met on a beach that my Icon Match was every bit as good as my Zziplex for half the cost. Then I went to Kent sportscast last meeting and found out that it probably isnt. As a fishing rod it is every bit as good but for that last bit of oomfff when casting you can see where the extra money for the Zziplex went.

Now I have spent 750 quid on two Centurys, fiddled about cleaning grease out of reels to replace it with yellow rocket fuel, thrown away new line to fill my spools up to the brim and practised like a daft bastard with a hockey ball. If that lot doesnt gain me 10 yards by the next time I go to Tilmanstone I will be thrashing myself to death with a Century tip section by the end of the day.;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
The butt sections the bottom bit, the top sections the tip, and I believe they use an extender rather than reducer, and I think you mean the pennamo 666 lubed with treacle for no distance whatsoever!!! I've got one you can't have a go with!!

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The butt sections the bottom bit, the top sections the tip, and I believe they use an extender rather than reducer, and I think you mean the pennamo 666 lubed with treacle for no distance whatsoever!!! I've got one you can't have a go with!!
Treacle! That is so last week. You need Terry Gittings yellow label Golden Syrup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts