World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the local tackle shop has a pair of these in. they look like new/old stock and they are fairly priced. does anybody have any views on these rods, ie casting weight and action and relative age. nothing comes up on the 205's using the search.
thanks in advance.

mark h.

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
the tiger was there budget rod around 10 years ago. it handled most situations and cast up to 6oz. a freind had one for a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
century 205 blanks were still available last year it will make a good rough ground or heavy beach rod it will handle 8oz of lead plus a decent bait I,ve sold a few of them they make up to 200.00 on ebay in unused condition some shops remove the tiger sticker and sell them as shop specials generally a good rod, but needs a bit of a grunt to get it to cast long distance

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hi Mark H,

Got mine for £60-00 second hand a couple of years ago, was told at the time that it was £190 new. Given that it is a 13' 2" carbon-butted century rod it sounds about right to me.

I use mine for fixed spool backcasting and it will comfortably handle any weight over 6ozs that you're ever likely to need. I can't fault it for performance in terms of the job I want it to do, but sensitive it ain't!

Hope this helps, P.T.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Is the Century Tiger 205 the same as the Century N.E.T.S Classic and the Veals Channel Special Mk1? If im correct the rod uses the tip from the fireblade backcaster and a stiffend shorter butt section. I have heard it around that its the same rod just dressed differently and sold by different tackle shops. Could anyone throw any light on this?

·
Banned
431 Posts
Is the Century Tiger 205 the same as the Century N.E.T.S Classic and the Veals Channel Special Mk1? If im correct the rod uses the tip from the fireblade backcaster and a stiffend shorter butt section. I have heard it around that its the same rod just dressed differently and sold by different tackle shops. Could anyone throw any light on this?
hi m8 a good friend of mine called steve ace from bristol who works in veals tackle in bristol had a lot to do with the channel special rod as steve wanted something different with a bit more grunt than most general rods.you are correct in what your saying to a point m8 the channel special is based on the century blank.But if you look at the cntury tt mk1 and the channel special you will notice the butt of the fod is 0.28 dia on both rods and i think that veals brought a load of the tt mk1 of century and then made the veals channel special but the tips were not the same as the tt as the tips had a bit more grunt than the tt i think they used more kevlar in the channel specials if you want to find out more then phone up veals,old market.bristol and ask for steve ace and he will tell you more but knowing mr ace he will try and talk you into getting 1 lol that bloke can sell ice to snowmen lol
hope this helps out
tight lines
lee :)

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Thanks, I'm still not clear on what blanks the 'shop specials' actually use. I did own a Century N.E.T.S Classic but got rid as i never used it, i took it out a few times and thought that the blank was a bit thick in the tip and that the action was to light for what i wanted it for. I replaced it with a Century Carbon Metal Express which i much prefer to use.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I will point out though that it was not a direct replacement. I use a greys PZ 300t for medium heavy ground, a Nor'easter for really heavy stuff and the CME for when the going gets tough.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for your thoughts lads, particaully howie. looks like i'll leave the 205's on the shelf and get another tippy.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Hi all,

A bit of a coincidence here as I actually took my 205 into Veals and showed it to 'Acey' to get his views on it's suitability for the channel. He'd never seen one but agreed it was plenty powerful enough for anything the channel can chuck at you. Having discussed both versions of the 'Channel Special' with Steve I can confirm that they are both Century blanks. I've owned a MK2, which is based around the Tip Tornado, but has a bit more middle. One of the most user friendly rods I've ever used and perfect for up here on Holderness, but I personally find it a shade under gunned for the channel though. My mate got a MK1 second hand from Olivers in Clevedon and it is a more powerful jobbie altogether and absolutely spot on for the channel. If I remember rightly Acey reckoned it was a Century copy of the Zziplex TZ500 and wasn't at liberty to say how they got hold of the mandrels. Please don't take this as gospel though!

Cheers, P.T.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the info PT. part of the reason for my question's on the 205 was that my tip tornado lite has been tip folding and bouncing in the rough seas we have had of late(perhaps i expect to much) were as my century centex sport has held up well with great bite detection and was looking for something alike. whats the tip like on your mk2 205 with regard to bite detection. i know you said it was not sensitive but could you expand on this.

mark h

·
Banned
115 Posts
Stiff as buggery m8! Can still get a bend in it on most tides and will show a decent knock or a slacker no problem which will do for me and it holds up better than most in a big tide or gale.

P.T.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Cant help out with the first post, but have been speaking to veals and century in the last few days. I have a veals channel special Mk1. Both have told me this is a tip tornado blank but the butt has been stiffened up slightly from the original tip tornado.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I am selling a very similar rod to the Century tiger 205 for £80. Its the Century NETS Classic which is a shop built special. They usually retail for £140 but i am selling mine as i dont use it (bought a TT lite and CME), the rod is i mint condition as it has only been used lightly 2-3 times. It handles 5-7oz and is built from the but of a Century G5 and the stiffened tip section of a Firelbalde backcaster, finished to the usual century high standards with black whipping over silver underwhips. Its in North East Tackle at the moment so if your interested in it go and have a look.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts