World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

ive ordered ceramic bearings , is it just a case off removing the old and replacing with new, without doing any other modifications ?

are ceramic bearings sealed units ?
(which i pressume wont require any more lubrication internally.)

when installed , what maintainence is required too keep things smooth and running properly ?

sorry for all the questions, but if i dont ask i will never know.

cheers in advance for any help/info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, If the bearings are the same size then yes it should be a straight swap. They might run quicker than your old bearings so consider a mid grade oil but only a couple of drops to lube the bearings. They may already be coated in grease depending on where you got them. Not sure if you are tournament casting or fishing but for fishing I would generally clean bearings and add a couple of drops of daiwa oil. I used to use 3 in 1 oil. If you put to much in, the oil will just get thrown out and may affect braking. After oiling set your brakes to the safest level and try adjusting after a few casts until you have a good setting for you. If this is for fishing I would reduce the line level to just below the spool lip level and make sure that I have a setting I am safe with for headwind casts. With regard to the bearing shields I don't think it matters too much but they are there for a reason so unless you have a particular reason for removing them, don't . I wouldn't bother, just clean the reel occasionally and all should be well. Others might do things differently but it is whatever works for you. Experiment safely!
Hope this helps
\Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts