Just a quicky what maintenance is required on a ceramic bearing and how often
Ps this is a casting reel only

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi gents
Just a quicky what maintenance is required on a ceramic bearing and how often
Ps this is a casting reel only
I have just fitted some Ceramics in a couple of my casting reels, i believe they need little or no maintenance!

Never used them before so there new to me Whoooosh Crack!:laugh:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Check your reels after a spell of using them, look for the tiny speckles of dust on the spool edge that glisten in the sun light ?. These speckles are from the surface of the ceramic balls.

Q - If Sic is the hardest material known to man how does this happen ? The steel ribbon cage or crown cage that keep the balls in the required position shave the rough edges which can lead to erratic running.

My preference is to clean them use them, clean them again (& the reel/spool ends), re-assemble use again and repeat if necessary until this stops happening.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers gents
Is the clean, the standard soak in petrol and allow to dry

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Would need to see what if any lubricant had been used previously.

If you are able to remove one of the dust shield this should provide you with evidence of what hss been used (if any), then it is a case of soak, dry, spin, soak, dry spin until they are clean and spinning freely.

Solvents are best - petrol, lighter fuel, cellulose thinners, degreasing agents all used in a well ventilated area. If you have one use a ultrasonic bath with hit soap water, industrial units often have a heater built in.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cheers gents
Is the clean, the standard soak in petrol and allow to dry
I was always lead to believe it depends what type of ceramics as some have a nylon roller cage inside that can be damaged, but not 100% sure on this!

As for petrol i never use that anyway as it leaves an oil residue, massive difference in spin up time when you lighter fluid over petrol.

Matt

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Matt - isn't lighter fuel just a more refined petrol ?

I suppose if that's the case then in order of cleanliness it goes - Petrol (from a pump), Coleman stove fuel & then Lighter fuel. Which is probably the same for the price !!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Matt - isn't lighter fuel just a more refined petrol ?

I suppose if that's the case then in order of cleanliness it goes - Petrol (from a pump), Coleman stove fuel & then Lighter fuel. Which is probably the same for the price !!
No it's not the same Andy, when i first started casting i used petrol as i did with my fishing reels, until someone said petrol slowed the reel down quite a lot, i did a comparison test and was shocked at the difference!

·
Registered
270 Posts
so what about oil, or does that defeat the object of using ceramics ?
Although oil can be used in them you have more than likely answered your own question Simon, as Led said in a previous post ceramic is very hard waring and needs no lubrication, unless you want to tame the reel for some reason!

All i know from experience cleaning bearings out with both petrol and lighter fluid, the petrol seems to leave a sticky residue behind! :g:

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
No it's not the same Andy, when i first started casting i used petrol as i did with my fishing reels, until someone said petrol slowed the reel down quite a lot, i did a comparison test and was shocked at the difference!
i use a carburettor cleaner on my tg bearings , do i need to reoil them or can i run them dry , i normanly add one tiny drop of yellow rocket oil to each bearing , is carburettor cleaner eny good for the job?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
hybrid ceramics that most tend to use the balls are ceramic or coated but the shell of the bearing will be stainless steel so would a very light bit of very fine oil a good thing to prelong life of bearing,

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have as instructed cleaned and spun the bearings several times and have spin time of around 3 mins so
I am more than happy with that, but I'm alittle concerned as dabhand that maybe a spot of oil will prolong the bearings life

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have as instructed cleaned and spun the bearings several times and have spin time of around 3 mins so
I am more than happy with that, but I'm alittle concerned as dabhand that maybe a spot of oil will prolong the bearings life
3 mins is fast enough mate, what did you use to clean them out with then?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Some of my casting reels have standard stainless steel bearings running dry ,which run for over 4 minutes.these were cleaned with degreasing fluid from a local garage.
On Friday I changed a set of the stainless for a set of new abec9 ceramic hybrid bearings which were also dry.
These new bearings which retail for around £15 slowed the reel down to 58 seconds.swapped them into another 4 minute reel and 1 min 4.secs,took the magnets out of the carrier so absolutely no chance of any breaking,best out of ten spins was 1 minute 8 seconds.
i won't waste any money on hybrid ceramics again.

·
Banned
5,324 Posts
Some of my casting reels have standard stainless steel bearings running dry ,which run for over 4 minutes.these were cleaned with degreasing fluid from a local garage.
On Friday I changed a set of the stainless for a set of new abec9 ceramic hybrid bearings which were also dry.
These new bearings which retail for around £15 slowed the reel down to 58 seconds.swapped them into another 4 minute reel and 1 min 4.secs,took the magnets out of the carrier so absolutely no chance of any breaking,best out of ten spins was 1 minute 8 seconds.
i won't waste any money on hybrid ceramics again.
Now you've gone and done it!!!
What did Andy tell you yesterday ??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts