World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed a prop when the boat is on a mooring? I don't think I can get the boat stern in, so I would have to stand in the well. Engine is a 60hp Mariner Bigfoot and boat is a warrior 165.
Also what prop should I buy and where from? I am quite pleased with the one that Warrior fit as standard, and feel that it's great for acceleration and cruising at 20 knots but I am less sure about the top end. I can really only get about 25 or 26 knots (one-up in the flat), and this comes a good 500rpm below max revs. The last 500 or 700 rpm definitely feel flat, and I'm not sure that I'm even getting max revs.
reason for considering changing is that I have cracked one of the blades trying to flatten a dink.
Mike

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
If your not getting the max revs rated for your engine then your over proped and need one with less pitch. I`ve changed props on outboards on moorings but mind you don`t drop somthing.I Rigged a tarpuline under it in case i dropped the nut or spanner ect, tied it to the pontoon and the boat moored next to me just in case.

Alan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Has anyone changed a prop when the boat is on a mooring? I don't think I can get the boat stern in, so I would have to stand in the well. Engine is a 60hp Mariner Bigfoot and boat is a warrior 165.
Also what prop should I buy and where from? I am quite pleased with the one that Warrior fit as standard, and feel that it's great for acceleration and cruising at 20 knots but I am less sure about the top end. I can really only get about 25 or 26 knots (one-up in the flat), and this comes a good 500rpm below max revs. The last 500 or 700 rpm definitely feel flat, and I'm not sure that I'm even getting max revs.
reason for considering changing is that I have cracked one of the blades trying to flatten a dink.
Mike
I changed my prop on the slip way had to wear a pair of chesties .The plastic spanner held in the nut i changed to a stainless steel quicksilver the boat was an icelander 18 with 75 mercury and i could get 37 knots by going 2 inch bigger

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Do it from a small boat. Tie an ikea bag (the big blue ones) around your "drop zone". Remember to fit a new stainless steel split pin every time. I took the boat stern in and applied every bit of weight I could find to the nose. I was then able to raise the skeg up onto the pontoon.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Pitch calc to download here. You need to put the right information in to get the right answer out. A rough rule of thumb is 1 inch increase in pitch will decrease your revs by 200rpm

http://www.castlemarine.co.uk/pitch.htm

Castle can also repair your existing prop and repitch it at the same time if the calc says you need a different pitch. I hit something in the water last year and lost half a blade and bent the other two, £47 for a complete refurb ballance and paint.

Why not put the boat on a sand bank or beach an hour or two before low water, chesties on and change the prop in relative comfort

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys - took it out today with the damaged prop and didn't notice any difference from normal so may leave it for a while, - probably will wait to see if the new oil seals hold. If not then when it comes out for those I'll get the prop off.
Mike

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
thanks guys - took it out today with the damaged prop and didn't notice any difference from normal so may leave it for a while, - probably will wait to see if the new oil seals hold. If not then when it comes out for those I'll get the prop off.
Mike
Hi Mike

I dinged my aly prop and took it in for a repair, cost £35. The guy told me of the problems that the gearbox bearings go through due to out of balance prop makes. I also purchased a new prop with a replaceable centre bush which means if I damage the prop beyond repair I just have to buy a new prop at £45 instead of a complete prop at £75+, I think it was called a Hustler but I am sure others on here will know.
I would suggest you get your damaged prop sorted asap before it costs you more in gearbox repairs due to the revs the prop goes through.

Dave
:giveup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts