World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of shots taken yesterday in the gloomy weather, but they show how a series of sandbanks have formed following the storms with the surf breaking a long way from the water's edge in places. The wide area of calm water in the first shot is similar-looking on big springs at low tide so it must be quite deep. Fishing was hopeless but cold nights coinciding with low tide - apart from the fact that it's a quiet time of year here - won't be helping. A local netter reported a few bass and a single thornback recently, but netting expires at the end of this month via a local fisheries by-law. Better news is that around the low water mark there don't appear to be any snags! I fished a few spots and no problems on that front, but clearly sessions are going to need more planning than usual for the time being.

031456.jpg 031457.jpg

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Thanks John. The changes have been interesting around Aber too although now I'm noticing that successive tides/storms/swell have already started to put things back to the way they were.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, IHW - sporadic thornbacks right now. Small-eyed & turbot - depends on how the weather shapes up. It is always a tough call, all along these shallow sand beaches. Last thing we need is for low temps overnight when coincident with low tide. Watch the weather charts in conjunction with sea temps is my advice. These shallow beaches can fish very well some years and be hopeless in others because of their sensitivity to sea temperature. Each year it can be a bit heart-in-mouth!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
That could be why there are plenty at deeper marks such as Ty Croes...?

Never had a ray off the beach but will certainly be trying from now.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Thanks for the report on borths new features looks like fishing their going to be fun this year with new channels to cast to. Got to admit that lenght of beach from borth to ynyslas has to be my favourite venue absolutley great fishing.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Do you think that changes to sea beds close to shore will revert or is this it? I'm over in Lowestoft this weekend and the covering of shingle on the North beach disappeared after a storm a few years ago to reveal the concrete remains of the previous sea wall. This is still the state of play after some years (2004 I think) Wish I understood how it worked. Ok new structures can affect tidal flow, the'new' Conway bridge caused the harbour to silt up I remember, but can flood changes be reinstated?

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting question. For the beach to cover over again required a source of large quantities of sand. It has either been dragged offshore and/or by longshore drift been scoured away northwards. A prolonged period of nor-westerly winds would stand the best chance of pushing sand back into place, which it looks like will be the case in the coming fortnight. I'll certainly be monitoring the place as we move into the coming fishing-season.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
wow i know you said it changed but that is amazing wont know where to start attacking that.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was photographing convective storms down there today then headed for the chippy. By there was a guy digging his gear out of his car. Would be interesting to hear if he caught. I think it will be trial and error for the time being, but the sand IS slowly returning. I suspect by May things may have improved a lot. I bloody hope so, anyway!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Hopefully get their in next couple of weeks to have a crack at it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts