World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quite taken aback when I recently started up sea fishing again since I was a young lad fishing at Cockenzie. My recollection was having a rod, reel, hooks, weights and bait. Now I find that there is all kinds of rigs and so many methods of fishing. I have borrowed a book from the library and have been reading the posts on here for a week or so before finally plucking up the courage to join.

I am therefore keen to extend my knowledge, especially of rigs, but there is so much to take in. Any other pointers?

Has anyone else who has taken a similar break found sea fishing far more technical second time around?

·
Registered
24,896 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm the same.
Restarted about a year ago, went into a tackle shop and couldn't believe how much gear was available for rigs.
Aint got a clue how most of it gets used either. :help:

Some things haven't changed tho.
Spinners and plugs are still pretty extortionate.:marinheir

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Best piece of advice I was given was think like a fish, fresh bait well presented is what the fish are interested in. From your point of view, sharp hooks securely tied is the way to go. I often fish with my brother who ties everything onto his mainline and you know what he catches plenty fish. He does change his mainline fairly often but then it never goes bad on the reel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Remember the tackle shop needs you to have that gizmo more than you really need to have that gizmo...

Just imagine you're an Aberdonian when you visit the tackle shop...

from an Aberdonian!

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
time and plenty practice soon gets you learning but to cut down on the time wasted by trial and error go fishing with a decent angler, you wont be long on picking it up if your keen :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm just in the same situation - dug all of my old kit out of the loft at home a few weeks ago.

I've just been reading about and following instructions on how to make your own rigs - it's a bit more rewarding than buying them from the shop. I always used to do it as a kid, but it's amazing how much I've forgotten!

I've so far spent more time making rigs and servicing my reels than fishing!

It's also worth chatting to some of the local boys if you see them out. If you're like me and don't have the time to join a club, then this is the next best thing. Some of the folk at the local pier are very friendly and good to have a chat with (even if I do feel a bit silly when they point out the 101 things I'm doing wrong!).

·
Registered
61 Posts
y dont u start simple with things like mackies go to busy spots talk to people and take pointers or go to your local fishing shop they should tell u anything u neeed to know
and with rigs u dont hav to make anything to mind bobbleing

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
:crazy: Got to admit I am still using the same rod,reel and mostly similar gear that I was using when I started sea fishing nearly 40 years ago. Have graduated to the likes of jelly worms but I think if your bait is good the fish will go for it whatever fance rig you may have it on:yawn:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also started fishing around 40 years ago and I know that if I used the rigs I used then I would catch next to nothing now.
The simple fact is that there were so many fish around then that poor presentation didn't stop you catching decent numbers of fish. I'm thinking of flounders in particular and as a complete beginner I used those old style heavy duty flattie hooks on 6-8 inch blood loops on 30lb line. In those days you still took treble shots of 1lb+ flounders but to use similar tackle and rigs now would almost guarantee a blank.
Fishing tackle is pretty much the same as every other consumer product available today - much better than they were 20+ years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts