World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got off the phone to russell (leah james skipper )

he had a 12lb and 8lb cod today but he said the water was bubbling with sprat
thats why the shore fishing is so poor

so ive got a boat trip sunday and may try a live bait or a white shad 5ft off the bottom!! you never now

·
Registered
6,483 Posts

so ive got a boat trip sunday and may try a live bait or a white shad 5ft off the bottom!! you never now
yea there are tons of sprat there, but cod aint there in numbers in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Dont think the sprat's can be blamed for poor shore cod fishing been sh$t for years, they just aint there !

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Dont think the sprat's can be blamed for poor shore cod fishing been sh$t for years, they just any there !
The last 3 years have been great for cod on shore and boat mate??? This year started off slow and looks like being a year of quality rather than quantity!
Fish do get preoccupied on certain food types when they are in abundance, like the sprats when they enter the channel. Although I think only the younger, fitter fish go chasing them? The bigger, older, slower fish still scavange the bottom for an easy meal, so there's still a good chance of a lunker while the sprats are in!!!

And I've always said that if I had my own boat I would pick a small neap tide when the sprats are in and just drift for a few hours with shads? It's gotta be worth it coz if they are feeding on them mid water, it certainly isn't through sight, so there's no reason whatsoever why a shad wouldn't work :)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I cant comment on the boat, being shore guy. But I remember not to many years ago probably 6+ fishing marks between sker and aberthaw through the winter and allways catching cod and I dont mean just the odd 2 1/ lb fish, my self and friend's regually used to catch multiple cod to between 6lb to 10lb.

I's a sad state just look at that llantwit comp the other week, lots of good anglers and hardly any coddling caught !

Let's just cross our finges and hope things change

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Dont think the sprat's can be blamed for poor shore cod fishing been sh$t for years, they just any there !
As you say m8, they just aint there, most years you would be catching codling and hoping for a lunker, hardly any codling getting caught, there was better size fish about in october, but they seem to have moved off, when the cod fishing was excellent in the 80s there were thousands of sprats about too, but you would still have plenty of cod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
anyone think that maybe cod and whiting numbers are linked it seems to me they might be ? I can remember back over the last 20 or so years that when whiting were a bit of a nuisance (nice to catch one now) we seemed to get some good cod off the side and off the boats ? at any state of the tide
regarding numbers of fish and fresh water surly this as gone on for ever, all the cod I have seen caught this year and last have been in top notch condition so they are certainly finding plenty of food up the B/C.

·
Registered
263 Posts

I was up there with russell yesterday and you could actually see the sprats shimmer on the surface every so often and dissappear again. The 8lber i had spat a half dozen out while i was unhooking it and had a gut full when it was filited. Not sure it's the only reason for the "poor" fishing as there doesnt seem to be anything caught under 4 or 5 lb reported- seems to be less fish but a bigger size this year.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
I was up there with russell yesterday and you could actually see the sprats shimmer on the surface every so often and dissappear again. The 8lber i had spat a half dozen out while i was unhooking it and had a gut full when it was filited. Not sure it's the only reason for the "poor" fishing as there doesnt seem to be anything caught under 4 or 5 lb reported- seems to be less fish but a bigger size this year.
even tho, the cod was full of sprat and the bc is full of sprat, he still took your bait, and im betting your bait wasnt sprat.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had fish and chips from the local chippy thursday and the size of the portion, goin from experiance was from a fish of about 1lb 1/2 - 2lb. Obviously these are trawler caught cod so it just shows how small the fish are that they are taking. As for the sprats in the channel, last year there was loads of them in the channel holding the cod out. But the boats were still catching, this year it's the same but the boats aren't havin them so much. The seas have been raped over the years and now it's starting to show.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It's without a doubt commercial fishing has had and is still having a major affect on our fish stocks. When you look at places like Norway which have strict regulations and look after there stocks and you see how excellent there boat and shore fishing is, its sad to see where we are these days because from what my dad has told me back in the 70's and 80's you would not only catch Cod in numbers off the shore but a double was certainly very probable. What I'd do for fishing like right now!

·
Registered
737 Posts
i can remember the 70s,and 80s,i doubt we will ever see fishing of that caliber ever again in the bristol channel,the big pouting have dissapeared as have the whiting and it looks like the cod are going the same way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts