World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Are there any reports from the Channel? Havent heard of much being caught out there? I blanked this morning, mate had 2 Whiting. It seems to be very slow at the moment.

Will report if I catch tomorrow!

:unsure:

Ben

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Ginge,

Hi!!

It has been very quiet for myself over the last month - four complete blanks on the trot!

I understand some rays are coming off Ladye bay, particularly first point and the sand but have not fished myself.

Took a trip to Chesil last Friday to see how the mackerel were and then only got 3 during the day BUT did manage a 6- 7lb Smoothie - bonus!!

jc smoothie.jpg

I know its not strictly the correct thread but I was pleased!!

the Muskins

·
Registered
377 Posts
More Rays in Bridgewater Bay and Weston Bay than you could shake a stick at, Strap Conger galore and Smoothhounds showing well further down Channel, how can you possibly blank?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol, well mate had a Ray today, 3-4lb, and another had a 7lb Eel. I had a 8oz Sole!

Happy again!

Ben

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ragworm seems to be the bait, along with whole Squid and Mackeral. I havent heard of any coming on Peeler! I dont use it personally, due to the price.

Ben

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi!!

Had a quick trip to kingston last night - a real 'billynomates' again, as I had the place to myself.

Fished 1 rod mackerel and the other rag & lug on clipped up rig.

Missed a couple of good rattling bites on the lug (rag left completely alone)
and had nice ray on the mackerel.

This was first trip to the channel since mid April when I have caught...maybe things will now look up.

kingston 2nd June '07 jc99.jpg

PS Since getting back into this last September (after a 25yr layoff) can anyone advise what to expect before the codling return?

cheers

the muskins

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Muskins, nice Ray bud! I fished the back of Battery last night again, and blanked! Had a few tempting bites, but nothing came. 2 mates fished, they had a Whiting and a Silver Eel, that came of bringing her in!

Im out tonight with some left over bait for a few hours! Will report back!

Ben

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi!!

Had a quick trip to kingston last night - a real 'billynomates' again, as I had the place to myself.

Fished 1 rod mackerel and the other rag & lug on clipped up rig.

Missed a couple of good rattling bites on the lug (rag left completely alone)
and had nice ray on the mackerel.

This was first trip to the channel since mid April when I have caught...maybe things will now look up.

View attachment 10869

PS Since getting back into this last September (after a 25yr layoff) can anyone advise what to expect before the codling return?

cheers

the muskins

P.S,

If you where on your own, who took the photo :blink:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
AHA......good spot!!

The bait digger and and tackle carrier!!........(I took the wife.........and yes she winged!!)

Good luck this evening....!

the muskins

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well.....

I tried the new 'Up and Over' rig, and it was quite succesfull! I had loads of positive bites, and on my first cast felt the fish on, it went to make its last dive and.........spat the hook! Gutted!

Baited up again! Another bite, no fish :blink:

So then, little bits persisted, and my mate landed a Conger (2-3lb) and a Whiting, and I had the most perfect slackliner. Dunk Dunk...............sprang back up, and the line was flew down! Wound down, fish on! Could feel her there, thump thump! Yes nice fish I said, then ............... all went light. Bit through the snood! Gutted! I know I should have changed the snood, It was a little rough!

Anyway, I eventually landed a Whiting, and I think the bites would have been from small strap Eels, as my mate landed one and lost one on the rocks. He also had some stonking bites all through the night.

Churs lads

Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
oi ben im thinking goin out this wednesday..... high is at 10:24 and 11.5 so im thinking try back of batry agen or try the tanks or somthin ???

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Had an interesting outing to Sand Point yesterday (Sunday) afternoon!

Contrary to advice I had picked up I fished from 12.30 to 4 pm. fisrt bites to '2 clipped up' rig fishing rag on one and Lug on teh other produced 2 small whiting!

After an hour or so second bite produced 1lb+ Codling to the ragworm. 40 minutes or so later the other rod fishing rag & squid gave a nod and had a good fish on until halfway back .....the n the b*gger let go! This felt like a conger.

I fished on and a half an hour later a doggie of around 1 1/2lbs agin to rag & squid.

Then an 40 minutes after that Rag & squid rod goes again ..and produces a lovely ray...

Middlehope 10007 001 (2).jpg

As this was being unhooked and photographed other rod goes (which by now also had squid & rag) and felt like a good fish but unfortunately all went slack and sadly rig body had failed at crimp.

But all I all a very enjoyable trip in brill sunshine!!

cheers

the Muskins

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fished a mark near Portishead yesterday morning 2hrs down, 2hrs up. No wind and hardly any movement on the water.

Around slack water what looked liked a some Bass ( definately silver looking ) started jumping clean out the water about 30 - 40 yds in front of me.

Anyway they didn't go for my rag, a nice strap conger of about 4lb did so better than nothing.

Any ideas on what the Bass were doing surely the waters to coulered to see anything from below.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fished the Ladder today, 5 small Whiting between 2 of us. Nothingtaking large Squid, Mackeral or Crab baits. All fish were on Rag on 3 hook flappers. Bit dissapointing, fancied and Eel or maybe a Ray, but alas nothing!

The jumping fish may have been Mullet, or like you say Bass. The channel was wuprisingly clear today, upon releasing the Whiting, you could see them swimming down a good few feet. This is due to the slack tides that are at the moment.

Churs

Ben

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fished Layde bay 3 hours down 1 hour up on sunday. Used rag & makerel cocktails at distance & short range. Blanked. 1 tiny bite all evening.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
HiGuys,

Just a quickie after this mornings excursion!!

Fished 3hrs up 2hrs down at middlehope (not the recognised best times I know - but experimenting!!).

No pictures and not a lot to report other than 2 doggies and codling of around 1lb and got chewed off! All to rag & squid.

Shan't bother on 12+ metre tide againg too much flow at its peak, there are better places.

the muskins

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fished Layde Bay tonight 3 1/2 hours up to high water. 1 bite all night to whole squid on a pennel rig close amongst the rocks. No fish hooked.

Rubbish!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A bit quite at the moment! But does anyone know what has been caught of Black Rock Clevedon?

Im trying Battery tomorrow, and will post any sucess!

Ben

1 - 20 of 25 Posts