World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed another trip to the Chapel area last night, after last Friday’s starry and watching the weather I fancied a few more could be on the cards.
I’d tied up some single hook traces to try this time, using Kamasan B940s’s
In a 3/0, instead of the pennels, the plan was to use just half a crab and gain a little extra distance.

Arrived about 8.15pm, but decided to look in at the point on a whim. Very surprisingly there were no others fishing that I could see, possibly one at Six Marshes, but that could easily have been a holiday maker enjoying the beach.
So I decided to set up there and fish directly out from the point. Fishing by about 9 o’clock it looked and felt quite promising, hardly any wind, what there was, was from the west (west is best, along there anyway). The sea was as flat as a pancake, a little too coloured maybe, but hey, it was a lovely night.

Settled back for a coffee, *** and peel a few crabs, then after about 20 mins away went the far rod, yes yes! After the usual jack in a box impersonation, picked up the slack, what a struggle it put up, I was totally surprised that it was only 5.5lbs it felt much bigger, not that I was disappointed, I was made up, what sporting fish they are these smoothies!
So photograph, put back, re-cast, hardly time to get settled and it went again, a bit rattally looking but it broke the lead out. Off we go again, got to the rod, picked up the slack, nothing! “Oh fudge”, I said (?) missed it! As it turned out I hadn’t missed it, it was a very good flattie, about a pound or so. Never ceases to surprise me how the heck a fish that size manages to swallow a 3/0 baited with half a peeler, but they do, somehow!

A little disappointingly, that was about it for this trip, one healthy looking bounce on the near rod at about 1ish that didn’t develop into anything, then it was time to pack up. Ended up fishing from 9.00pm till 1.30am with high tide at about 10.30 pm. 1 starry smoothhound @ 5.5lb, 1 flounder @ 1lb and 1 happy chappie, yea!
Seems there are a few around on the Lincs coast right now, so why don’t you sharpen up those hooks, grease up those reels and get out there amongst them!

Take care and tight lines,

Mickt..

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
nice one mate we've been over chapel a few times this year and missed them. (420 mile round trip) went out yesterday for ray's and hey presto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Excellent, what a lovely fish, well done Joe.
There were some bigger ones caught over here earlier this year (not by me sadly), maybe there will be more turn up yet before they disappear.
Well done again, that’s a cracker!

Mickt..

·
Registered
728 Posts
"Few" is the operative word, they have been few and far between for the past 10 days or so now. Hopefully they will be back in numbers before the end of the season.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It,s very hit and miss at the moment, nice one Crimson , it,s good to see positive reports instead of the doom & gloom and "I can,t wait for the cod" which by Christmas turns to "I can,t wait for the mackies"...... the fish are there but if your bait,s not infront of them you,ve no chance..
Nice fish there Joe, it would be nice if the bigger doubles showed again on this side befor the end of the season... Chris

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well done Crimson, nice to see that there are still a few about .....might just have to have a bash this wk end ....may be see you there ......let me know if your chasing hounds and will come and have a chuck with you ......the more crab juice in the water the bigger the scent trail

boansy

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Boansy,
Thanks for your comments and all you other guys as well.
Paul I’ve met but none of the rest of you, so yeah, it would be good to meet up sometime for a chat and a bit of a fish.

I don’t fish at the weekends normally but will make an exception to meet up with someone. This week I’m planning to go down there on Wednesday 19th, fishing from about 3.00pm till 9.00pm ish, if that suits let me know. It’s not 100%, work may get in the way but looking good right now.

This coming weekend of course is the Sportscast Anglia Zzipplex do, so I’ll be going there (Kelling), both days probably and sneak in a bit of fishing on the North Norfolk beaches at the same time. The bank holiday I’m away too, but after that there is nothing planned, so call it and we’ll see what can be arranged.

The grapevine tells me that there are hounds being caught all along right now, so defiantly worth a chuck if you can make it,

Take care and tight lines,
Mickt..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts